Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting conflicting advice about primer to use on aluminum siding

Posted by mommabird (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 18:07

I H e been researching painting my aluminum and talking to men in hardware and paint stores. I am getting conflicting advice about the type of primer to use. The finish is almost completely chalked off and many spots are nearly bare aluminum.

Some say latex primer reacts with the aluminum to cause bubbling. Others say oil primer reacts with the aluminum and causes it to over-harden and flame off.

I don't know who to believe. Can a pro Housepainter give me so e advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting conflicting advice about primer to use on aluminum si

ALL-ALL-ALL-ALL...Chalking paint needs to be washed off!!!

* When rinsed & dried, a firm rub with your hand should reveal no more "powdering".
* Normally, don't let cleaners dry on wall.
* If it's definitely Galv. or Aluminum, there are specialized primers for these substrates.
* ACE has a "Galvanized & Aluminum" primer. We don't sell much, but it's available!
* These primers are high in ZINC...that's the key!
* Zinssers' 123-Latex would be OK, but it would be a little better using the specialized one.

Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here