Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasonuncloned

Oil based paint over Latex? No need for Primer?

jasonuncloned
13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the final stages of cleaning up an utter disaster of a painting project. I moved into a rather unfinished looking artist loft space where the owner had improvised adding the extra plumbing for the shower in the bathroom by running pipes along the floor and building a raised plywood platform floor above that. So I had a red plywood floor in my bathroom when I moved in!

Well I wanted a normal color for that instead of barn red, so I proceeded with painting it using Dutch Boy Latex Porch and Floor Paint. Of course the know nothing Menards employee said "Oh you don't need primer, it's mixed right in the paint."

So I did 2 full coats and 2 days later after I thought it had dried fully I started removing tape off of the walls near the floor. It pulled paint off in CHUNKS. Once it got loose the paint continued to peel and I considered it to be a total loss so I just started removing it. I used a paint type testing strip that it was in fact Latex I painted on, so maybe I screwed up by not using a primer or not giving it proper curring time before I peeled the tape.

Anyway, I've now removed all of the paint, and in some areas resorted to using paint stripper to get it down to bare wood. I also hit the entire floor with a palm sander to rough up the surface, and there is no glossiness left to it. I want to make sure that this time I do NOT screw it up as I am most likely moving out in the next few months.

So I'm torn as to what I want to cover it with.

1) I use a true Alkyd/Oil Floor & Deck Enamel. I spoke to a legitimate paint store yesterday (they even MAKE their own industrial coatings) and they recommended that I just paint right over the latex with a Pitsburgh Paints Alkyd/Oil Porch and Floor Paint. I'm hesitant to do this though because A) I'm still not sure I should skip the primer this time. B) I don't know if I want a glossy, smooth and potentially slippery paint on my bathroom floor! I hate to step out of the shower, slip, and crack my head open when I'm reaching for a towel.

2) I use an oil based primer like Zinsser Fast Prime or Cover Stain, or a shllac based B-I-N Primer then follow up with whatever acrylic based paint is appropriate. Back to the previously mentioned concern of a slippery smooth oil based surface, this may be safer on a floor that I expect to be wet. The main thing here is proper adhesion.

So what do you think will be the better adhering option?

Straight up Oil based paint right over the latex sans primer?

OR

Oil based Zinsser Primer and a porch and floor latex?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?