Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gnancyanne

What's the best primer for a dishwasher front?

gnancyanne
10 years ago

My "kiwi kitchen" remodel is almost done, but the dishwasher isn't yet reinstalled. The lower cabinets are a medium gray and I suddenly decided that the white dishwasher isn't going to do. (reusing the old one.)

So, I want to do a quick paint job, like, tomorrow. I know I need some kind of adhesive primer (I think); I can't decide/don't know what the best one is. And, if I have a good primer, will any good quality paint work? I want to try to match the cabinet color. It's an odd shade when you try to match it. Some grays will look okay, but then they are either 1) too green, 2) too brown, or 3) too blue.

Help...

Comments (6)

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

It depends what it is made of. I would probably use some high quality 100 percent acrylic bonding primer.

• gnancyanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. While I was out (and before I saw your reply), I went to Sherwin-Williams. They advised XIM primer and one of their paints that had "classic" in the name, so I went with it. I haven't had time to try it yet, but will probably start this afternoon or tomorrow. (pretty busy today)

I forgot to add they tinted the primer and color matched the paint to the cabinet, too.

This post was edited by gnancy on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 10:03

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

XIM is fine. And the topcoat is Pro Classic most likely, which is also fine.

• gnancyanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good. I feel reassured. And, I have a mohair roller that they also recommended. Fortunately, everything was on sale.

• gnancyanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I painted the dishwasher. When I went to pick up the paint, it was All Surface Enamel Latex Base in satin finish. (I suppose the guy decided it was the best choice or someone else advised him it was.)

Here's what I did: cleaned it with TSP, rinsed with water, lightly sanded, primed, lightly sanded, wiped it off with damp rag, and painted. Even though I used the mohair roller, I think it still looks textured. The clerk said that the mohair would give the smoothest finish when I asked about a foam roller.

It was a tiny roller. Maybe I should have used a bigger roller? I don't know if I should do a second coat using another kind of roller, or maybe a clear top coat with a satin finish. Maybe do both? What should I use to apply it? I bought the mohair roller that the sales clerk (not the one I talked to about the paint) recommended. I'm pretty sure I used a foam roller on my front door and it looks as good if not better (as far as smoothness) than the dishwasher. I'm stumped.

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

I usually prefer mohair to foam rollers as well, but it usually depends on the product. Some paints when you roll them, the stipple doesn't lay down....instead, it stays up and the finish looks textured. This could also happen from overworking the paint though.