Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deb_nick

Purdy paint brushes vs Corona - which is best?

deb_nick
17 years ago

I just bought a new 2-1/2" angled brush by Purdy but a couple people at the decorating forum mentioned Corona. Never heard of that brand. Wondering if I should return the Purdy and try to find a Corona brush instead. Those of you who've tried both, is there a big difference? Which do you prefer and why? Thanks!

Comments (19)

• Michael
    17 years ago

There's a huge difference! There's a huge difference in price too!

The Purdy brush will serve you well if you're using it in a non-professional capacity.

Michael

• decorativewalls
    17 years ago

corona brushes can't be beat. The best.

heres the link for you:

Here is a link that might be useful: corona brushes

• Faron79
    17 years ago

Most of the long-run painters that frequent our store grab a Purdy and don't look at anything else! Woosters' are another good line.
    Just make sure you're using a Latex-appropriate version if that's what you're applying.
    Thanks,
    Faron

• ilsa
    17 years ago

Purdy is my all-time favorite, and the only type of brush that I'll use.

Ilsa

• kev123
    17 years ago

Well, im 18 years old and ive worked at my fathers paint store all my life. Ive used both brushes and heres my take. Purdy brushes have two different roots. Did you get it at a hardware/paint store or did you buy it at home depot? Brushes from depot are crap. Crappy taper, epoxy isnt as good, and the filaments are cut more shoddy. But in my opinion a corona brush is a better brush all round. More stock better taper and they have an extra plug in them to hold more paint. I actually sell corona about a dollar cheaper then purdy and do it happily. Wooster does make a good brush but so does elder & jenks but in my professional opinion Nothing can beat a corona brush.

• hamptonmeadow
    17 years ago

I recently used both a Purdy and a Corona. The difference was like a ford pickup and a Mercedes. Corona is a much better brush for me. It held up well, kept its shape and the Purdy had trouble maintaiing its shape for cutting in.
    It spread out more and was more difficult to control.

• pirula
    17 years ago

I have to agree, as a total non pro who's painting an entire house. I've used the Wooster and the Corona. Both are great, but the Corona is just hands down so much better for many reasons.

Ivette

• Faron79
    17 years ago

Hey Michael...,
    I should've asked you earlier...how much have you paid for some of your favorite Corona's (the BRUSHES I mean ;))??
    I'm gonna bring some into our store as an experiment!
    Lemme know when you can.
    Thanks!
    Faron

• hamptonmeadow
    17 years ago

He doesn't tell cause he buys them wholesale by the case. He has said this before on other posts.

• siddalee
    17 years ago

We've been getting alot of defective Purdy brushes back in our store over the past few seasons. From what I understand Purdy Co. was sold (I know to who but I don't want to bash a name) and I swear they've changed thier manufacturing process, and I haven't seen my Purdy rep in years.

On the other hand, I have always stood by Corona and their customer service support has always been stellar.

You can't beat their Cortez model, that's my favorite.

• wantedpainting_tmail_com
    13 years ago

I've been painting for 15 years I really like the purdy "moose" brush I also like the corona slant "stubbys" such as the "cool and "red" brushes simply due to the comfort compaired to the longer skinny handles of other slant brushes out there. But haven't tried a "regular" corona I've had a person say to try 1 says he likes the stiffness of the corona better the the flexiblity of purdy. I guess it just comes down to personal perfence, how one likes the way the brush sits in their hand, and their skill in manipulating their brush. Perhaps I ll explore the other corona brushes unfortunately there r only a couple of shops in nothern Delaware that carry em

• pti3_live_com
    13 years ago

I have been in the painting business for over 20 and have used every brush under the sun and in my opinion Corona is the best. They make by far the best ox hair brush around. Other brands worthy of mention wooster which makes everal styles and Elder and Jenk. I would avoid brushes by Prudy and Sw Ben Moore new brushes seem ok for many apps.

• allcat2001_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I've done painting contracting for many years.The deal is that long ago Purdy was the best brush.The company has changed hands & they make various qualities.Today, Corona is the best Brush.Definitely.

• vasilios814
    9 years ago

Purdy WAS a great brush. But like you said it has changed hands to Sherwin Williams. Corona is the best brush you can find. Although chinex brushes by almost all companies are very good. Corana brushes hold more paint and hold shape much, much, much longer than any purdy brush alive. You purdy fans are just old. You can't adapted to nothing else. I started with purdy but above all about corona .

• PRO
    Rockdrench painters
    7 years ago

I used Purdy my whole life, exclusively, stubbornly refusing all others, and I still do keep one or two hanging about BUT Purdy is not the same today as it was a few years ago. Disappointment with new brushes not performing as well as older brushes led me straight into the arms of Corona as my first love, Wooster and Picasso as my two beautiful mistresses and Purdy as a past and tired old flame which I take out on odd occasions to celebrate past happy times..

I am now a balanced, happy and well loved professional painter.

• HU-176355022
    3 years ago

When I apprenticed painting, I was told to get a Purdy, they didn’t have the spring and backbone I thought they should have. I switched to Wooster, on the advice of my fave paint mixer of all time ( she belonged in the hall of fame, lol). Better, but as time went on, painting in arid climates can take a toll. You just can’t get them clean enough anymore. Enter Corona..I think I died and went to painters heaven..they are all things to me. Clean cutting, dependable, rinse like a dream, and always perform like brand new. Just the right spring, they practically do the job themselves!

• Ceci Hdez
    3 years ago

Where could I buy a whole box of corona paint Bonita black nylon paint brushes. I need two. Looking for the best prices.

• Daniel Fareri
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

.y favorite brush is a 3 inch corona chinex silk at $34.00 a brush or just under $200.00 for a box of six,I've been painting exterior homes for 16 years and used many different brushes and this is by far my go to