Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theplayer

huge scatch in stainless hood from painters

theplayer
12 years ago

How would you folks handle this?..I noticed a large scratch on my new Broan hood, not just a single line, more like a half inch wide by 1 inch long and fairly deep. You can "feel" the scratch marks with your fingers. It's almost like sand piper was wiped across it...very noticeable. Wasn't there yesterday, there today. Only the painters have been here this week.

Would you ask if they did it?. Even if they admitted it, what would be the point...compensation? I would like opinions on how to handle this. I have not [paid them anything yet. These guys come highly recommended...they do mostly commercial work, lot of family restaurants.

Comments (9)

• Michael
    12 years ago

Present the damages and ask for an explanation.

It's unlikely sandpaper would cause a deep scratch in SS. Something may have been dropped on it.

Was it there before the painter arrived? Do you know for sure?

• theplayer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It definitely was NOT there. I'm just debating what bringing it up will accomplish. They will admit or deny..either way I'm left with a scratch that can't be fixed(too deep).

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

It can be replaced

• theplayer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

^sure for $600..not sure how your reply helps.

• PRO
    12 years ago

If the painter did it THEY are responsible to replace it.
    If it is a responsible painting contractor( licensed, insured) it should not be a problem.If they are a bunch of migrants, then you have a problem. Not sure what you're issue is.

• theplayer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I doubt the painter will replace a $600 hood because of a scratch, and I wouldn't expect them to.

That is exactly my problem, I don't know what the issue is. I don't expect them to replace the hood, so not sure what even bringing it up will accomplish.

• andrelaplume2
    12 years ago

Professional painters likely have insurance...no? I mean accidents happen, no one is perfect. Maybe they do not know they did it. Maybe someone is afraid of loosing a job. Who knows...just ask...

• paintguy22
    12 years ago

Why would you not expect a painter to replace something he damaged? Seems perfectly reasonable to expect this to me. If it was me, I would approach the customer right away and explain what happend. $600 is nothing. Mistakes happen and this is what insurance is for. If the painter didn't approach you right away, then you are right to be concerned. They will probably deny or the employee that did the damage just isn't telling the boss. Hopefully if the company is legit and cares about their rep, they will take care of it.

• PRO
    12 years ago

. Hopefully if the company is legit and cares about their rep, they will take care of it.

That was the point I was trying to get across.If you don't expect them to replace it because of a scratch, then I guess you are stuck with it. Try buffing it out or forget about it.