Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior primer

Posted by bus_driver (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 17:34

Not wanting to hijack other threads about primers. I have done lots of painting, but it was mostly in the days of oil-based primers. I recall reading that the latex interior-exterior stain blocking primers are too ridgid/stiff and do not hold up well on wood as they do not stretch as the wood moves. Recommended for just the stains/knots. My limited experience seems to bear this out. But others are enthusiastic about the 1-2-3. I have used it for interior.
I have some exterior wood about 7 years old which has been painted twice and badly needs it again. I need a better primer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior primer

If it is already painted and the paint is still adhered, you do not need a primer, unless you are going from oil to latex

o

The "if" does not apply in my case, as my post shows. The paint is chipping off, not peeling in strips.

o

Where the paint is chipped, it is recommended to feather sand the bridge to prevent future chipping. Painting over a chipped area w/o sanding creates runs and a super thin paint film which will fail soon.

I've been using Smart Prime by Zinsser at my office buildings and it's become my favorite interior/exterior cover all primer.

o

"I've been using Smart Prime by Zinsser---". Based on this endorsement, I stopped at the nearest Home Depot to get a gallon. Not on their shelves. The one employee in that department had three customers ahead of me waiting for help and I had other things to do. I have not had time to look elsewhere. If the Sherwin-Williams stores have it, their prices will be much higher than most other sources.

o

Went today to a Sherwin Williams store. The only primers I saw were their own brand, nothing from Kilz or Zinsser. Their own interior/exterior latex primer had a posted shelf price of $46.49 per gallon.
Went to the largest Lowes store in the area. No "Smart Prime" to be found. But they do have 1.2.3 Plus which I had not seen before. Have not purchased any primer yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here