Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerz1_gw

painting exterior door black

flowerz1
10 years ago

I'd like to paint the front door of my colonial house black so it matches the color of my black shutters. I've been told that black absorbs heat and it could cause my wood door to warp if I paint it that color. Has anyone experienced any problems like this with their black wood door? If I paint the door black and remove the storm door in front of it, would it be less likely to warp? I do not have a front porch so the front door will definitely be exposed to the sun on a daily basis. I could possibly paint the door red or some other contrasting color but I think it would look better if it were painted black.

Comments (5)

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

Black doors get extremely hot if they are facing the sun for more than a few hours. It's like having a heater along that wall. Don't leave the wood door exposed to the weather if you can help it.

The best thing I ever did at my house was to replace the wood door with an insulated steel one. The house is more secure and the living room feels nicer in the summer. This could be an option for you if you are set on a black door.

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

I don't know about the warping, but if you have a storm door, the door is more likely to get cooked when the sun shines through the glass. The door itself doesn't get nearly as hot if you do not have a storm door, but then of course it is exposed to the elements. It's just faulty thinking that putting up a storm door is going to help...on a bright sunny day, that area between the storm door glass and the front door itself is like an oven.

• cannes
    10 years ago

When I got a new door for my 1922 brick colonial, I chose a custom wood door. I, too, wanted black and was warned about warping and cracking since it faces east without any covering. I ended up choosing a red to avoid any future problems. Three years later, it's still ok.

• PRO
    R Constuction
    6 years ago

Never paint a front door black. Burns kids hands, and your own if you are sensitive at all. Heat/cool cycle rips the door apart, all the joints get loose, water gets in, rots in just a few years. Try it if you don't believe me.

• blbickham
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I warped our door by painting it black. The door is an original wood door, some 60 years old, west facing (hot afternoon sun), with a storm door, and I suspect, has always been painted white. I painted the door black. After a few months the deadbolt got harder and harder to close. We finally realized what happened. When I was searching up door colors before painting I had never come across the "don't paint it black" advice. I was surprised that a door so old would still warp. There is no visible peeling, chipping or cracking, just the warping. We haven't done any remedies yet. Not sure if it will continue to warp further...

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County