Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dalmadarling_gw

Exterior paint colors

dalmadarling
12 years ago

How do you even begin to select exterior paint colors? My house is definitely ready for a freshen up. Would love to know what tricks of the trade and tools you use to start the process! Thanks in advance for your expert advice!

Comments (2)

• chardie
    12 years ago

Yeah, that's a tough one. I've learned the hard way that I'm really bad at picking paint colors. I decided to paint my house bright blue like a house I saw in a magazine. Well, it was awful! Thankfully I realized it after only painting a half of the back of the house.

I have a Victorian house built c. 1875 so I googled historic painted colors, but was unsure so I went to a paint store that carries Benjamin Moore paints because they have colorists available to help you. A woman told me that, yes my house is technically Victorian Gothic Revival vernacular, but really looks like a farmhouse, so go with white, yellow or red, which are traditional farmhouse colors.

So, I'd check online for paint colors traditional for your type of house and/or find a colorist to help you. It's a very important decision because you have to look at it every day. I'm so glad I chose Weston Flax, a creamy pale yellow.

• FroofyCat
    12 years ago

i go to the brochures at the paint store and look for pictures I like and try to not do the same thing as any neighbors.

For a while in my old neighborhood, several houses all used the exact same color combo on victorian houses with lots of different trim details in different colors. It was lovely on the first house, but seemed like such a copy-cat to see it on several houses all right near each other! I was surprised people didn't try to do something different - maybe they all picked up the same brochure from the paint store!