Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

quick primer reccomndation

andrelaplume2
13 years ago

Mostly for priming new drywall (some trim though too) in my never ending basement remodel...

I was using Zinsser Bulls Eye123 but I am being told thats over kill for what I am using it for. They said I could use Zinssser Primecoat2 or Kilz2 and have as good results for less cost. I need to get several gallons. The 123 is $19 gal, Primecoat2 is $13 and Kilz2 is only $10gal (it comes in a promo 2 gallon pail for $20)

What do you think...need to stop on the way home...thanks!

Comments (12)

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Stay with the 123...you get a VERY GOOD seal/coat with a better primer like that. Especially on trims, etc.

You're going thru the same physical motions anyway. I usually want the the best results when I'm doing something.
    If you're only talking a few gallons, it doesn't make that much $$ difference.

Faron

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

I think if someone tells you that 123 is overkill, then they may not understand the importance of using a good primer. The better the primer, the better it seals which ultimately means you will use less paint when applying the topcoat. Kilz2 is garbage really and shouldn't be used anywhere for anything IMO. 123 is really a medium grade primer....not the best, but certainly pretty decent for the price to use as a drywall primer.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ha! They were out of 123. So how is the $12 Valspar primer vs the $12 Zissner Primecoat2? Or should I just wait till they get the 123 in again....

BTW, the Valspar can says it aids in leveling out tape seams and such...I am no expert in taping and sanding and can use all the help I can get....

• Faron79
    13 years ago

If you can wait...PLEASE wait for the 123.

Think about it...a $12 primer that helps level seams?!

....C'mon. Unless you're good @ Voodoo, that ain't gonna happen!

Faron

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I'll hold off on priming the drywall till I can get the 123. I did pick up a gallon of Zissner Primecoat2...I have about 10 6' long waferboard closet shelves I want to prime and paint....I need to get that done ASAP. I'll use the Primecoat2 for that and other such stuff that comes along. To be honest, I opened the can and it looks and smells exactly like the 123...I brushed some on and it appears the same consisitency too...I guess I'll know for sure when I roll it. I noticed this was only sold at HD and the dude says Zissner makes it for them and it may well be the 123 under another label...not sure...just thought I throw that out there. I won't take a chance on t he drywall before someone can confirm this. I'll let you know how it goes on the shelves compared to the 123 I used on some shelves already. If its the same HD has a lot of it and its priced cheaper than 123. If not I'll have to hunt the 123 down somewhere else.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

123 is really a medium grade primer....not the best, but certainly pretty decent for the price to use as a drywall primer.

What are some better primers to use?

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    13 years ago

only sold at HD and the dude says Zissner makes it for them and it may well be the 123 under another label...

Don't believe a word of it.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Weel I used the PrimeGaurd2 tonight to paint the backsides of the waferboard shelves I made for a closet. I had used the 2 year old 123 I had left over for the other side. I can say the smell is exactly the same. The 123 may have been thicker...its close or the same. The primeguard 2 spead eaiser but I was doing the smooth side of the waferboard so it could be aq coincidence. Botton line, I think there is a good chance its the same thing. I guess I'll have to try it on some scrap drywall next.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Just an FYI for someone researching PrimeCoat2. It says White on the can, but it's a pale blue on the wall. (Shouldn't make a difference given its purpose, but you will notice it if it drips on white trim.)

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

So is the feeling here that 123 better than one of the Ben Moore Fresh Start primers?

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

I think the Fresh Start is better, C2 primers are better and of course FPE primers are better.

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Well...if you're near a C2 dealer (not many are though!!!), the C2-One primer has a lot less odor than 123, but is a whisker better primer.

It's the ONLY Latex stain-blocking primer I'm gonna use from now on.
    123 Latex is obviously very good...I just can't stand the smell of it! Lots of our customers are agreeing with me too!

FPE...Yes...king-of-the-hill stuff there!

Knowing what I know NOW about primers, cheap PVA, or "Wallboard" primers are the entry-level...sometimes barely that.
    * I DO like the way the C2-WBP Primer (C2000) goes on though.
    * The Low-VOC version (L1800) also is very good for a "PVA-class" wallboard primer.

Faron