Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
metaforical

painted drywall without primer - how do I fix this?

metaforical
11 years ago

I scraped the popcorn texture off of a ceiling successfully, then went to the paint store and told the man I wanted "the stuff you paint on the ceiling after you've scraped off the popcorn texture'. He gave me something he called 'ceiling paint'.

Oops, I should have googled the process first because, of course, 'ceiling paint' is not primer. The stuff came off in weird spotty places as I was painting, left little divots here and there and looked pretty ratty. I figured I could sand and repaint the bad parts later. I waited a couple of days, then masked off the edges so I could paint the walls. I used the nice painters tape that really did an excellent job protecting the trim, but when I pulled it off the ceiling it brought all of the new paint with it and left really nasty looking 'holes' all along the edges. I sanded it a bit and now I don't know what to do. Should I try to put primer on top of all of this? Or should I just put another coat of that 'ceiling paint'?

The walls look fantastic and I don't want to mess them up.

Comments (9)

• andrelaplume2
    11 years ago

...almost sounds like there was a residue or something on the ceiling. I learned a similar lesson real quick after removing wallpaper once. Paint was not sticking as I was rolling! I stopped immediately and properly cleaned the walls several times and the paint went on fine after that.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

Depending on the "ceiling "paint, you probably could get by with another coat or 2

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

What happened is the "popcorn" stuff was not 100% removed.

The water in the latex paint softened it and then it was easy for the tape removing to pull it off the ceiling.

Even drywall primer can't prevent that. Patch the divots, sand the rough spots and apply another coat of paint.

• metaforical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The popcorn LOOKED removed. I'm not sure how to tell if I've gotten it all. There didn't seem to be a residue, but I believe you both that there must have been something there. I have three more ceilings with the stuff on them. How do I get it off next time? I steamed, scraped and sanded this time. Is there a product that will guarantee removal? Thanks.

• paintguy22
    11 years ago

You should prime. Zinnser 123 would be good.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Prime with something that is NOT water-based.

That seals in any traces of the popcorn and means the paint will stick to the ceiling.

• bus_driver
    11 years ago

While it might not have been visible, the ceiling had lots of dust on it. That might be part of the problem.

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

I recently removed popcorn ceilings from my entire house (all rooms including closets, bathrooms, hallways.) The painter we hired, had his men scrape off the popcorn then smeared some sort of texture on the ceiling. After that they put on one coat of paint.

So now, the ceilings have a swirly texture (which is common in Florida). They also sprayed something on the walls which produced an orange-peel effect and then painted.

I know they didn't prime the ceilings. They used this stucco-type stuff and painted.

It looks good.

Jane

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

Prime with something that is NOT water-based.
    That seals in any traces of the popcorn and means the paint will stick to the ceiling.
    Except for Gardz. This is what I would have primed with.

Here is a link that might be useful: gardz