Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamelah_gw

Please review my paint choices

pamelah
13 years ago

I am posting a cropped pic of a portion of the front elevation of the home we are building. It's a very long ranch, so it's easier to see a view of it this way than it would be if I tried to photograph it now.

Here's the plan- This house is beach area waterfront in S. Florida. There are lots of trees on the front. My goal is put a little twist on the typical Florida paint theme so I can transition into a fairly traditional interior.

The roof is a flat white tile. It is a little less in-your-face than the elevation would indicate because it is elevated 3 ft above grade so you can't see much of the roof. The quoins, crown moulding, and window trim are white. The precast will be white also. The front door and the window assembly above are mahogany.

Paint selection: Exterior - BM 2143-40 (camouflage), shutters BM 2136-40 (aegean teal). There are additional shutters to the left of the pictured area.

Please give me your honest opinion. I have to finalize the exterior color this week. I have painted sample boards, and I have used the BM software. I looks pleasing to me, but I would really appreciate your critiques.

Comments (6)

• pamelah
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a couple of shots of the elements I am working with. One pic is the camouflage and teal in full sun, the other is filtered outdoor light. The full sun board is laying on the same type of floor that will be on the front and back porches. I have placed samples of the interior flooring, a paint strip that represents the tone of the mahogany door, a piece of precast, and a couple of fabric swatches that I am looking at for indoor use.

The front of the house faces north, so I think the filtered light pic is most representative of how it will display on site.

full sun

filtered light

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

I love it. Can totally see the twist away from typical FL color schemes. Yours is very crisp and fresh yet it still relates well to the region, topography.

The only thing that MIGHT be an issue is once Camo is on the entire house and in full sun, it might have a little less color than you anticipate and look more grayed than expected. Don't want to say washed out, just very light in the chroma/colorfulness department.

Textiles are divine.

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

LOVE it! Beautiful, not typical but colorful. The teal is great. I wouldn't change a thing.

• pamelah
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your feedback, wi-sailorgirl. I am nearly frozen with anxiety in this project. It's my first build. In the past I have always walked into a can of worms and worked my way through things over time. Now I am trying to get it right from the outset! It's HARD.

• cpartist
    13 years ago

beautiful. agree about cam possibly looking washed out. paint a sample on each side of the house to double-check how it looks in different lights.

• pamelah
    Original Author
    13 years ago

funcolors and cpartist- sorry I did not see your replies earlier! Thanks for your input! I will try the samples on all sides.

There is a home next to my current house (just 5 miles from the new place) that is camo. It has held up well, but I am sensitive to not wanting it to look too pale with there being so much white on the trim and roof.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler