Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using a roller on trim

Posted by elizawhyza (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 14:58

We're interviewing painters for our new master suite and four additional bedrooms. We don't want any of the trim to be rolled. Two painters we've spoken to only use brushes, but last night we met with someone and I felt I needed to specify brushes only. The gentleman responded that they first roll but then use a brush immediately so you can't tell they were rolled. This is all new wood, and once you get that pebbly surface on wood, it's hard to ge rid of.

Does anyone know if you can brush out the texture created by the roller? I'm nervous about it. I also don't know if I can trust that they will do a good job unless I follow them around, which I have no intention of doing!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using a roller on trim

Do it every day.

o

Thanks. I didn't know how much it was done, or how effective.

o

Roll on + brush out is the only way to efficiently paint trim (except spraying!) Brush alone does not get the paint on fast enough, or as evenly as possible with the roller.
Casey

o

Yea, if you are really looking for perfect trim, hire a painter that will spray. Unless you are looking for that 'brush mark' look, then rolling first and backbrushing the paint is the best way to paint trim if you are doing it by hand. Do not think that they are actually rolling the paint on and then brushing it later...they do it immediately after applying the paint with the roller and work in small sections. Think of the roller in this case as a mechanism to simply get the paint on faster.

o

Thanks, this is so helpful. I want it to look like it was put on with a brush, but I don't need to see a lot of brushmarks. I just don't want it to look like orange peel. It sounds like using the roller to get it on to the surface followed by immediately brushing would be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here