Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dispose of Oil Based Paint and Stain

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 20, 10 at 14:55

Pop, a union painter for years, now long retired has decided its time to clean house. We got ride of 15 gallons of latext paint by adding a hardener to the paint and putting it in the trash. Our county no longer has recycling 'events' to dispose of the oil based stuff. I can not give it away...it ranges in age from 10 - 25 years old. Obviously it won't be used. I tried the paint hardener stuff in it but I'd have to spend a fortune to buy enough to harden a gallon. Any ideas on how I could get ride of this stuff?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dispose of Oil Based Paint and Stain

Is it still usable? If so, Craigslist it.

If not, I would pour it in a thin layer onto newspapers and let it dry. Then dispose of the newspapers.

PS: All you need to do with lates is pour it in a thin layer onto newspaper (with a plastic drop cloth under it) and let it dry.

o

15 gallons will require how much paper????????

o

Wow! 15 gallons. I think I would check the yellow pages for hazardous waste disposal or call the county and ask them what they want you to do with it. Or get lots of cardboard and newspaper and do a little at a time for the next few months. :-( If any of it is old enough to have lead in it (pre 1978, I think), it is definitely hazardous waste.

o

open them up and pour in cat litter and let them sit open for a couple weeks

all that expensive hardner is is basicly cat litter.

o

If you can dry it out it is no longer hazardous waste.

Newspaper or kitty liter (can even be used).

o

the county does not do that anymore. No places in the immediate area to take it away. We bought the hardener on clearance at HD..it was pretty cheap. That took care of the 15 gallons or so of latex. Now I need to get ride of the oil based stuff.

o

you got the answer, twice, cat litter and just let the cans open and dry out, a couple weeks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here