Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvpatch2

paint color for living room with brown leather furniture

luvpatch2
12 years ago

Hi! I would love some help with a paint color for my living room. WE are currently having a stone veneer placed over our fireplace and hearth. We have dark brown leather furniture.WE will be getting hardwood floors sometime early next year. I will need some color in the room and was thinking of maybe a sage type green color? Then another color for the entry way that would match? Would love some suggestions for the color maybe from Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams? Thanks so much!

Comments (7)

• graywings123
    12 years ago

If you don't get a lot of responses here, post your question on the Home Decorating forum along with some photos of the room(s). If it were my house, I would wait until the stone and hardwood are installed before selecting a wall color.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

Stone & hardwoods are neutral & sage goes with everything. But graywings is correct in saying that paint is usually chosen last.

~Jeana

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

I love most greens in the sage family with leather furniture, stonework, and wood but I must agree with Graywings - wait for the floors and stone.

I will have to disagree on the "neutral" of hardwood. I have unstained, clear poly finished red oak with very little little natual lighting in my LR. They read "orange" to me. It is the most difficult room I have ever tried to find paint for. I will admit that most shades of green look good with wood, and the Svelte Sage that Jeana recommended should look good with most wood floors, but in my house it (because of the lighting)is "dark/gloomy/dreary". Where it looks sagey green in most homes, it looks blue in mine.

I have the same problem with tans. Some look dirty, some look pink, etc. Again, most of my problems is due to poor lighting. Look at your wood species and the stain you are using. Will they be red oak or white oak or walnut or cheery. Will you stain have golden or red or brown undertones. It DOES make a difference. Same with your stonework.

Tuesday

• PurpleClematis
    12 years ago

We have a green called Providence Olive by BM in our laundry room (see picture, you can see how it looks with golden oak). It is a lovely color. We have dark brown leather furniture and hardwood floors in our living room and went with an orange-red color by the name of Autumn Russet (it was from Lowes, matched by Behr) and a neutral tan by BM called Brunswick Beige.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

Tuesday - you're totally correct. I tend to over-generalize, & I certainly did that in this case.

In your case with the orange tone wood, you probably need to stick with a more golden wall color like SW Blonde.

~Jeana

• randita
    12 years ago

A "sleeper" green color that I really like is SW Austere Gray. I read that it is the same formula as Grassland (one shade lighter than Svelte Sage) but without the yellow. It looks great with golden oak cabinets or floors-adds a cool contrast to them.