Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Funcolors thoughts on another color

Posted by Eden-Manor (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 13:10

Just wondering what your thoughts are on a color like BM Chelsea Gray in a north facing office? I think the Galapagos Turquoise isn't going to work out. The other option is BM Hale Navy or BM Old Navy.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Funcolors thoughts on another color

Depends. Chelsea in a north facing office would be wonderfully moody. But if moody isn't the mood you're looking to achieve then it's not a good move.

North light in our hemisphere is never direct into fenestration rather it sort of tumbles and stumbles in. As a result, various things can happen to the light beams along the way. Most common is the blue portion of the spectrum makes it way into the space more so than the other parts. Which is why many refer to north light as blue or cool.

While that may or may not be true in every case, it's pretty safe to say that beams of north light are overall well balanced with a tendency toward cool blue-ish-ness. And it is dim on a scale from dim to bright -- because it's not direct.

Dim qualities of light do well with saturated, midtone or darker color.

Chelsea or Hale Navy would play nicely into, and capitalize on the natural characteristics of north light. I'd say choose your mood. For example, moodily sophisticated Chelsea, or a classically understated and dignified navy.

Both equally appropriate for the function of an office.

o

You are so thoughtful to give such a detailed explanation. I am very grateful for your insight!

THANK YOU! :)

o

No problem. Good luck with everything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here