Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiptoptommyt

Remove paint/stain from composite decking

tiptoptommyt
10 years ago

Folks - I posted this problem on the Porches and Deck forum but maybe it's just as appropriate for this forum (although I don't see it on that forum...maybe it takes a day or so to post?)

I have a composite deck and was painting around the house. Somehow I managed to get paint/stain splatter on the deck like an idiot. I tried using one of those nylon scrubbers which worked some...but left the surface noticeably lighter. I also tried mineral spirits which did not impact anything.

I'm out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I had an issue with a Fiberon deck. I placed a pad under the grill and when I moved it months later, it left a distinct mark. Scrubbing didn't remove it, but over time, it went away.

I don't have any suggestions on how to remove the paint, but possibly the color change in the deck surface will go away. Is it possible the lighter color is the original color of the deck?

• Pines Everywhere
    10 years ago

Try nail polish remover (100% Acetone).

• craig1721
    9 years ago

try these steps for either vinyl / PVC siding or decking (as I did)
    *latex paint -
    when paint is wet: start with 100% rubbing alcohol and dilute with tap water at max 50/50 on a white cotton rag and wipe surface

when paint is dry: use 100% acetone (e.g., nail polish remover) and dilute with tap water at max 50/50, with same type rag vigorously wipe

then - since paint will have been spread around (looking like a stain) - use Goo Gone and finish the rest until clean, is now nearly spotless

*oil-based paint -
    for wet or dry oil-based paint, start with 100% acetone (e.g., nail polish remover) and dilute with tap water at max 50/50 on a white cotton rag, vigorously wipe surface

if stain from paint is still apparent, use Goo Gone (what I had) and finish the rest until clean nearly spotless

I tried a lot of different solutions, literally, except for those that research had informed would be ineffective for what I was doing or would damage the surface (powerwashing, abrasive scrubbing with fine steel / plastic type scrubbers)

This post was edited by craig1721 on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 15:58

• HU-880818521
    4 years ago

Hi like a idiot i tried to remove paint sllatter from my Composite decking, which as left the decking lighter .

Is there anythink i can get to get it back to orignal colour, or will i need to replace .

• Michelle Murray
    4 years ago

Hi the exact same thing as happened to me. My husband was painting & like that pain splatters & went at it with a nylon brush & now too the composite decking is lighter where the stains were. Did you manage to fix?

• JANIRA SANCHEZ
    3 years ago

Did you manage to fix this? We have the same issue

• Jerome Eveson
    2 years ago

I have the same problem. See others' have the problem just like me and there isn't any solutions..

Such an stupid, awful mistake but dog knocked over a pot of paint from bench and it splattered across to the new composite decking, and loads of it.