Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remove paint/stain from composite decking

Posted by tiptoptommyt (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 12:51

Folks - I posted this problem on the Porches and Deck forum but maybe it's just as appropriate for this forum (although I don't see it on that forum...maybe it takes a day or so to post?)

I have a composite deck and was painting around the house. Somehow I managed to get paint/stain splatter on the deck like an idiot. I tried using one of those nylon scrubbers which worked some...but left the surface noticeably lighter. I also tried mineral spirits which did not impact anything.

I'm out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remove paint/stain from composite decking

Try some rubbing alcohol. Paint thinner won't do much unless the paint you are trying to remove is oil based.

o

I had an issue with a Fiberon deck. I placed a pad under the grill and when I moved it months later, it left a distinct mark. Scrubbing didn't remove it, but over time, it went away.

I don't have any suggestions on how to remove the paint, but possibly the color change in the deck surface will go away. Is it possible the lighter color is the original color of the deck?

o

Try nail polish remover (100% Acetone).

o

try these steps for either vinyl / PVC siding or decking (as I did)
*latex paint -
when paint is wet: start with 100% rubbing alcohol and dilute with tap water at max 50/50 on a white cotton rag and wipe surface

when paint is dry: use 100% acetone (e.g., nail polish remover) and dilute with tap water at max 50/50, with same type rag vigorously wipe

then - since paint will have been spread around (looking like a stain) - use Goo Gone and finish the rest until clean, is now nearly spotless

*oil-based paint -
for wet or dry oil-based paint, start with 100% acetone (e.g., nail polish remover) and dilute with tap water at max 50/50 on a white cotton rag, vigorously wipe surface

if stain from paint is still apparent, use Goo Gone (what I had) and finish the rest until clean nearly spotless

I tried a lot of different solutions, literally, except for those that research had informed would be ineffective for what I was doing or would damage the surface (powerwashing, abrasive scrubbing with fine steel / plastic type scrubbers)

This post was edited by craig1721 on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 15:58

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here