Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a glaze that will not change dry paint?

Posted by kitchendetective (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 11:59

I ended up using my left over Farrow and Ball samples--you know those charming little pots--by painting a faux harlequin backsplash for the cat landing pad in the mud room. Most of the colors are in the Estate Emulsion formulation, although one is Modern Emulsion, and one is Estate Eggshell. Now, it occurs to me that the whole thing would be more permanent if I could put a clear glaze or preservative coating of some sort over the area. Do you know of something that will not alter the colors or make them bleed? If it matters, colors include Teresa's Green, Cook's Blue, Arsenic, Folly Green, Cabbage White, Off Black, Pitch Blue, Drawing Room Blue, and Ellen Kennon Cornflower Blue.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a glaze that will not change dry paint?

I asked this question recently and didn't get a definitive answer. My idea is to put a water-based polyurethane over acrylic paint. I doubt it would alter the color or make them bleed. The sheen will be what the topcoat is. My fear that is that it may crackle. I'm toying with the idea of making some test pieces and seeing what happens to them over the winter.

o

Try here under acrylic clear overcoat

Here is a link that might be useful: clear coat

o

Since we're not talking Michelangelo here, if I use the acrylic clear coat, and later want to paint out the whole piece, would I just use a latex primer over the whole thing?

o

A hidden, key point here....

Paint CAN take a month to cure-through...!
Don't trap curing paint under a "clear" of any kind.

The net benefit of "clear-coats" is usually minimal. High quality paints don't need them, unless you'll have a high-wear area, or a lot of splashing/etc. hitting that wall.

Faron

o

If you have a flat paint, it's crucial that the acrylic clear coat also be flat because a glossy finish appears to darken colors. An art-supply product called fixative is very color-neutral for obvious reasons.
Casey

o

VERY good SM!

I didn't recall that angle at all!
Is a fixative very durable??
Are there different types?

Faron

o

The Estate Emulsion samples are ultra flat, even chalky. There won't be splashing, but when DS's Maine Coon visits, there could be cat food smears, if he (the cat, not DS) pushes the bowl against the backsplash while he eats. This does sometimes happen. (Our beloved tortoise shell cat is now deceased.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here