Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindiw2

Can I paint over mud?

cindiw2
15 years ago

Can I texture my wall first with mud and paint over that?

Comments (7)

• paintguy22
    15 years ago

Yes, it is supposed to be painted over. Prime plus two coats finish would be best.

• cindiw2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So -- to make this story short -- I prime after the textured mud? (I know, the teacher told me there were no stupid questions...but in my case I'm sure there are.)

• Faron79
    15 years ago

Yes Cindi, it IS a stupid question...AND remember, nobody likes you....
    :-)
    JUST KIDDING!!!

Exactly what Paintguy said. One could prime b4 AND after texuring, but no one wants to pay for that usually...soooo...a FULL COAT of primer after texture has dried a day.

Faron

• cindiw2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

listen, Faron (or whatever your name is) I know my questions are stupid, I'll be the first to say it. although you're different from the teachers I had who ALWAYS ASSURED ME that my questions were NOT stupid. but I really knew they must be stupid because why else would I ask them? ... And SECONDLY, I also know no one (hardly) likes me -- I'm prepared for that. So with that said, thank you for deigning to answer me. (I've been watching too much Nancy Grace). Now THIRDLY -- and I'm supposed to remember my own question here -- I guess I will prime first. So, uh, priming with GARDZ will do the trick? And then, because I have nothing BUT time ... I will apply mud and do something artistic like hand imprints or something wonderful like that ... and then I will let it dry and then apply more GARDZ? or perhaps KILZ which is waiting in one of my rooms since I bought it from HD about a year ago on sale, and then after that I'm supposed to paint over the lovely texture I intend to slap on the wall? So, to reiterate because I get confused easy:

1. Prime with GARDZ? (this is a question)

2. apply mud & make beautiful designs

3. Prime again with Gardz.

4. Paint over that

5. Try to sell the unused gallons of KILZ I have on craigslist.

Correct me, my dear Faron, if I'm wrong because I'm READY TO GET STARTED after, of course, I get a friend to remove the fixture from the wall. :-) Although sponging does sound nice, too. How about sponging? Oh, I'll start another thread about that.

• cindiw2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Before priming, that is. So to keep things simpler, I can apply the lovely textured mud first, and then I prime after that? Then I paint on top of that? Now ... as I was saying, can I sponge on top of the first coat of paint to get a multi-colored look, if possible?

• paintguy22
    15 years ago

The reason you would prime before applying the mud is that you want your mud to stick as best as it can. It's going to stick best to a good primer. Do you have to prime before applying the mud? Probably not, but it depends on what the surface is really. I don't know that you need to use Gardz unless you are applying the mud over wallpaper residue. Any decent latex primer will probably do. There is probably no reason to use the oil based Kilz either if that is what you have. Latex primers and paint is all that you would need for this project.

• cindiw2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

(Paintguy) "I don't know that you need to use Gardz unless you are applying the mud over wallpaper residue."

(Me) Well, I probably will be applying the mud over wallpaper itself in certain areas. While I realize this is not the best way to do it, from what I've read it is possible if the wallpaper is really tight, and in my case it is.

(PG) "Any decent latex primer will probably do. There is probably no reason to use the oil based Kilz either if that is what you have. Latex primers and paint is all that you would need for this project."

(me) I just read the label for the Kilz that I have, and it is latex. However, most of the surfaces either have wallpaper residue or wallpaper itself. Therefore, I suppose once again that I should use the Gardz. My, but this is complicated. :-) (thank you.)