Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mellie0803

Painted countertop? and another question too . . .

Mellie0803
12 years ago

I've got a project underway where we are converting old kitchen cabinets into a buffet/hutch. So far a pretty low cost project, which is awesome. DH is just finishing up trimming it out and painting will begin soon!

Question #1: I plan to use BM Cabinet Coat in light pistachio for the horizontal surfaces. I would like to "age" it in a few spots and am wondering what product will work best with the Cabinet Coat? In the past I've used Liquitex Heavy Body burnt umber mixed with a little glaze and water for that aged look, will that be good with this base coat?

Question #2: I was thinking about a butcher block top for the piece, but after costing it out, am thinking maybe to just use a painted top. Is this feasible? Since the light green would show too many stains, I was thinking a painted brown top to mimic wood. The piece will be in the kitchen, but not a major work surface, more of the beverage center (coffee/tea/bar). Would I use the cabinet coat in a brown or is there something better that anyone may know about?

Thanks for your help!!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living