Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cinnamonsworld_gw

Best black paint (+ shine level) in black granite tile bathroom?

cinnamonsworld
13 years ago

Bathroom walls will be all black - that's already firmly decided. But which black? Bathroom has shiny absolute-black granite tile flooring and tub enclosure. Vanity top will be similar shine level, vanity itself will be more matte black wood, and much of the bathroom wall on either side is mirrored.

Does anyone have a black paint brand/shade they love, and also recs for the look of satin or semi or gloss or eggshell vs. flat (simply for the look, not for how well one holds up in a bathroom)?

Our walls have been sanded but are not perfectly new, so while I could entertain the idea of a gloss black paint in this bathroom, I'm concerned about wall imperfection show-through. (Anyone successfully done a gloss using a fantastic undercoat of some sort that helps mitigate those issues?)

I also want the walls to look a rich black, and am somewhat concerned that a flat or some blacks could look dull next to the polished black granite.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Pittsburgh Paints Black Magic 518-7 mixed in their Accent Colors which only comes in Interior Matte Finish. I've used this paint in bathrooms several times. It is matte and it is a good fit for a bathroom.

Truly, one of the very best options for black walls. Figuring out something with a black from Ben Moore in Aura would be second choice.

ICI, now Azko-Nobel, has one of the truest blackest blacks called Dark Secret. Not sure what they're doing with their uber deep bases theses days - have to check it out at the store. I think it was Texashottie here on the forum (forget the name exactly) that ended up going with Dark Secret in her dining room. Her pix were fab.

Be aware that this thing called water whitening can happen with all brands and grades - it's especially noticeable with super dark colors. Due to moisture, white streaks will develop, like the paint is running, and then disappear. They usually go away completely on their own over time. One day it just strikes you that it's gone. It's not surfacant leaching. It's different and again it should go away on it's own.

• Faron79
    13 years ago

While I'm NOT a decorator/colorist...I DO know my way around some paints!

With YOUR bath description, I'd hate to have the walls too shiney as well.
    Not surprisingly...my 1st choice for you would be FPE. I have the Eurolux Matte in "Brown Cafe" in my lower-bath/shower. It's more like an Eggshell though. Wears & cleans fantastic!
    If you try this stuff...you won't be using anything else. It's high-end paint. But, your bath sounds high-end too!

They have a couple blacks that are EXTREMELY Black. Call-'em and see! I think their Matte would look nice! Again...it's a subtle eggshell-sheen.
    >>> There IS a dead-flat Oil from them you "could" use too.

Faron

• izzie
    13 years ago

FYI. I painted a small section of a wall with a gloss black paint I got from Home Depot. I picked one of paint chips that had the Mickey Mouse/Disney logo on them. I noticed they had to put in a lot of colorant (spelling?)in it and I think made the paint a bit thin. It took at least 4-5 coats to get it to cover well on white. Even then in bright direct sun it looked really really dark green. I was told I should have used a primer tinted also. It was also suggested that I should have used a paint pre-mixed off the shelf, but I don't know where you would get that. I would suggest to go to a higher quality paint specialty store. The wall I painted was that important, but your bathroom I am sure is.

• cinnamonsworld
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all, really appreciate these detailed, well-thought responses.

• cinnamonsworld
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update: Tried several including Benjamin Moore Aura satin mixed not in one of their black colors but just with their black pigment, and a hefty quantity of it.

I fell in love with Farrow & Ball "Pitch Black" in the estate emulsion (flat). It looks completely black to my eye but in a deep, rich way and not in a cold blue way. It feels inviting, and doesn't compete for attention with the absolute black tile... which to me the satin and a high-gloss I tried did. Now I just need to find it in stock somewhere!