Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any opinions on behr premium plus ultra paint?

Posted by texasjg (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 30, 09 at 10:51

I am considering using behr premium plus ultra paint in my kitchen. I only found one mention of it on GW from 2008 and that person was pleased with it. I'd appreciate opinions from people who have used it. I live out in the boonies, so HD or Ace is much more convenient than SW or BM. Our HD paint guy is actually pretty knowledgable. He does have a dorky assistant most days, but the old pro knows his stuff, so the service issue at HD isn't bad for us like big city HD stores. I have no problem spending more for better quality. Also, what do y'all think about using eggshell on kitchen walls instead of semi gloss or satin? I'm tired of shiny walls in the kitchen, looks so dated. TIA everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any opinions on behr premium plus ultra paint?

One mention since 2008? The search feature must be busted! Behr uses more of the cheaper ingredients and less of the expensive ingredients that a high end paint would contain. This means it is harder to apply and it will be less washable than a good paint. Will you notice? Maybe not...it depends on how often you wash your walls. Using an eggshell on kitchen walls is fine these days. Really, I see no need for something as shiny as a semi-gloss on walls anymore unless you really like the extra sheen. Eggshells are every bit as durable as a semi gloss, especially if you use something like BM's Aura. Even Aura Matte is very durable and that has hardly any sheen. I wouldn't expect Behr in eggshell to perform very well though.

o

I used the Behr Ultra Premium for the first time on the bathroom of my rental house as I was getting it ready for sale this past August. I thought it went up great. The instructions state to do 2 coats as the first is the primer coat. I had pulled off old wallpaper, so the walls were basically new drywall & joint compound. I think you could do one coat for previously painted walls.

The color I used was Sand Pearl (UL150-11) in Semi-Gloss. I left the new owner a quart of paint for touch ups and brought the rest home to hopefully use on a project in my current home.

I also used the the Ultra Premium in Swiss Coffee on the stair railing on that house. Again, great coverage, very easy to apply, low odor, no priming required.

I wish I could better report on how well it's holding up, but due to all my fabulous fixes and staging, we got an offer on that house 2 weeks after it went on the market.

I'll put the bathroom picture in my photobucket. I'm sorry you can't see more of the wall.

Kathe

Here is a link that might be useful: Behr Ultra Premium Pain in Bathroom

o

Kathe, thanks for the info and your experience with it. Congrats on selling it. Paintguy, I appreciate your comments, too, but as I mentioned I don't live near BM and SW, I live on a 30 acre ranch in the country, HD is my best bet, which is why I like seeing people's actual experience with the behr ultra premium line. They do carry RL, which is used in my bath and it's OK, except it is a suede finish and when you have to patch nail holes it sucks.

o

We are also at the mercy of H.D. being the only game in town. They ran the mom and pops out of business here including a frazee paint store. I have to admit that I also used ultra premium on a project and even though the first coat was a primer, it covered in one coat decently. I went ahead and put a second coat on anyhow. I've had problems in the past with behr exterior being inconsistent, but the ultra premium interior was okay.

o

If you have an Ace store, Ace brand paint is far superior to anything sold at HD.

o

I just used Behr premium plus ultra in the eggshell finish to paint a closet. It went on fine. I used two coats of the Raffia Cream (a yellow undertoned cream color) on the formerly gray green walls in the closet. It covered well - one coat would have sufficed for the closet, but I went with two because my painting technique is lacking.

I think the eggshell would be fine in a kitchen.

o

I have no problem spending more for better quality.

Then you would be wise to spend more, as the quality in Behr just plain sucks. Paintguy has already explained why.As booger3914 said Ace would be a MUCH better choice

"better to leave the walls bare than put Behr on the walls"

Now you have heard from a couple of home owners an a couple of professional painters who make a living applying paint, you're choice.

o

(...we just got in another 600 gal's of ACE...)

We go thru SO much ACE paint here.
We always stress proper prep, priming when necessary, etc.

* I'd suggest using the ACE-Royal in the Satin sheen for kitchen or bath.
* Another neat alternative is the ACE Sensations Matte. 3M Scotchguard in the formulation makes for VERY washable walls! Now you can have a Flat/Matte in the kitchen!
* WASH THOSE WALLS first though!! Powdered Dirtex is very good, and usually doesn't need rinsing.
* If it's been some time since the last paintjob, OR poor quality paint on the walls, I'd prime.
* Lightly sand first if your walls are shiney.

Faron

o

"better to leave the walls bare than put Behr on the walls"

If you can't own a Lexus, then don't own a car at all.

o

One thing that seems to be overlooked is longevity. If Behr works and covers well, which I found to be the case with the ultra premium, does that mean it will last? I would lean more towards it not lasting well compared to a higher end paint. Guess it depends on the project and the issues/situation involved there. If you aren't going to be in the house for a long period of time, there's two routes you can take. Go cheap and make it look shiny for your short term stay, or go quality and have it as a selling point that a high end paint has been used. Different strokes for different folks I guess! I simply didn't want to go 80 miles out of town to go B.M. or S.W. which could come back to bite me in the a$$.

o

Consumer Reports gives Behr Premium Plus Enamel high marks in tests for staining and scrubbing, but it gives it a Poor rating in the test for fading from ultraviolet light.

o

Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions. Obviously, you either like it or hate it lol. Just to clarify for those with very strong opinions on Behr, Behr's Premium Plus ULTRA is not regular Behr, it is their relatively new top quality line and is not the cheap stuff, but is $32/gallon. That is why I am so interested in hearing from people who have actually used this specific Ultra paint, not just Behr in general.

I guess I should also mention that I am very interested in low VOC, green paint with soap and water clean up. Ultra has some nice features which the other paints don't have, unless you go for the super expensive "green" paint. Behr Ultra is low VOC, soap and water clean up, and doesn't need a primer, as it self-primes. Deep color and radical color changes can be done in 2 coats with no additional primer, which I thought was nice.

I tried some samples and it does clean up easier than any paint I ever used and the coverage was OK with 2 coats, but I'm not a professional like a lot of you. I also tried a Glidden sample and did not like that at all. I like my Ralph Lauren paint in my bathroom. In my last house I used BM and liked it but again, it was a "normal" paint, not a low VOC green paint.

Faron, I never thought of washing the walls first, but that makes sense, especially in a kitchen. Walls are satin finish, is that shiny enough to need sanding?

o

No matter what you decide, you should know that the Behr self priming claim is just marketing. It's a gimmick. This doesn't make Behr paint special in any way. BM's Aura also claims to be self priming. This does not make it special either. All paints are essentially self priming for the purpose of general wall painting. Personally, I don't think that we are that far away from having primers disappear alltogether from the shelves, unless you are working with special situations like stain killing or painting over varnishes, plastics and other slick surfaces.

Also, just because a paint claims that it will cover any color in two coats does not mean it will. Aura also claims this and it is an outright lie. There are still a handful of colors that will take 3 coats. The colorants that you tint Behr paint with are the same colorants that are used in any paint so their hiding power is what it is. Only Aura and C2 have their own colorants.

o

Paintguy, have you painted with Aura in kitchens? Did you like it? I just read about it and it is low VOC/green, too. How much is it retail?

Greywings, how does Consumer Reports like BM Aura? I have almost no sunlight in my kitchen due to just one tiny east facing window, so UV isn't a problem, but I will be using some intense colors so keeping the color rich is important. I could pick up some BM when I am in Austin, it's just a pain if I have to go get more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Benjamin Moore Aura paint

o

I have ordered Aura from myperfectcolor.com. I think it's free shipping over $50. Drop shipping is incredibly convenient. Do need a couple days lead time, which is usually no big deal. MPC has really good pricing per gallon on Aura. I thought Aura pricing was suppose to be consistent nationwide, but I've had long-distance clients tell me that their local store was asking as much as $20 or $30 more per gallon than the standard $55-$60 per gallon I was aware of.

I'll order paint from Fine Paint of Europe, Farrow & Ball and My Perfect Color. I trust all three of those resources - a lot - for color accuracy and super product.

If you're buying your paint local, convenience does matter. If all you have is a Home Depot, then all you have is a Home Depot. Personally, I won't drive more than 30 miles or a half hour to get a can of paint and I don't expect anyone else to do so either. As much of a paint snob that I am, even I have limits. It's all about BALANCE people! :~D

Buy the best grade and brand that you can. That's all any of us can do. If FPE ain't in the budget, then it's not. Find another solution that does fit the budget.

Just find some way to color your world that makes you happy and works for you because the alternative of not doing anything with color isn't any fun. Nope. No fun at all.

Color should be fun and functional.

o

Funcolors, you are awesome! Thanks for weighing in with some perspective and good suggestions :) Drop shipping sounds like a good idea. I do like those little sample bottles for testing on the wall, though.

I am leaning towards Aura now, if I can use their other colors. The Aura colors don't have the cobalt blue I'm looking for, although the white look OK. I probably would be just fine with the Behr Ultra, since I am not a paint snob and it does seem to have some cheerleaders on this forum. If it makes that big of a difference though, and I don't have to fuss with it as much now or later, I guess I can make the effort to drop ship. I have a small area to paint, so a gallon or two is all I need, hence not so worried about price. Again, thanks everyone for sharing your experience and opinions.

I did use the premium Ace paint a few years ago in a bright orange kid's room and it turned out OK, but the light orange in the closet took lots of coats. I'm not that excited about Ace even though it is close.

o

I just bought the ultra in a BM color called white dove. I am scared too. I have noticed that Behr yellows quickly. I am hoping with the Ultra it will not as I paid a lot for it considering it was just HD paint. It does apply nicely though.

o

Consumer Reports probably will not rate Aura because it is too expensive. Their rankings are based on value, so high end paints and regional brands usually don't get ranked.

o

Aura ranks 4th behind Behr Premium Plus Enamel, BM Regal, and Kilz Casual Color from Walmart. All four have the CR checkmark of recommendation. Aura matches the Behr as excellent for staining and scrubbing, and outperforms Behr for fading. CR rated Aura poor for "gloss change," defined as "the change in appearance when a paint is cleaned with a hard-surface cleaner." Behr PPE was rated very good.

Paintguy is right. CR doesn't test the higher end and regional paints. Ace isn't listed. I like to see CR's testing, but the ranking sometimes seems subjective.

o

Paintguy is right. CR doesn't test the higher end and regional paints. Ace isn't listed. I like to see CR's testing, but the ranking sometimes seems subjective.

SOMETIMES???

o

Ratings like this make me very suspect of Consumer Reports.

o

Thank you everyone for sharing. DH and I have decided to go with the Behr Premium Plus Ultra, to the disappointment of the Behr-haters I'm sure ;-) We actually do respect Consumer Reports, and I don't see why they would be pretty right on for cars, coffee makers, and anything else but wrong about paint. Aura was mentioned on that comparison where Ultra came in so high, CR does rate some high end paints.

I also noted that everyone on this forum who actually used Ultra themselves (not just going on the reputation of other, lower quality Behr products) liked it.

DH asked what happens when I need 1 more quart at 8pm or if I hate the color once I get it on the wall and need an adjustment on the shade. Having HD 15 minutes away is sure easier than 50 miles away or buying over the web. So, stay tuned and I'll post pix when we are done. Again, thanks for your input!

JG

o

we did our entire home in Behr eggshell 3 years ago -- no problems at all. I doubt you will have issues so long as you clean your walls first and use decent rollers / brushes.

o

I also noted that everyone on this forum who actually used Ultra themselves (not just going on the reputation of other, lower quality Behr products) liked it.

I, for one, paintguy for another, both professional painters have used it and would not let it ever touch our brushes again if at all possible. You have been given opinions by home owners and persons who make a living out of applying paint and have made your choice. All I can say is good luck,I am sure you will be happy with the results.

o

Well, this is really why the marketing plan by Behr has been so effective. What a painter wants from a paint and what a homeowner wants from a paint are two different things. All of the Behr marketing is directed squarely at the homeowner. Most homeowners don't notice the things that I notice. Everything will be fine as long as you aren't a picky person.

o

here we go again; geeeeez

I am a professional painter and I have used Behr Premium and still use it for customers who want it in their home. I don't have any problems in the performance of this product and haven't had any call backs.

Some could have personal issues; do your prep ,use quality tools, follow the instructions and it should be fine.

o

It's a personal issue when a professional painter is going for perfection and a homeowner isn't? When a pro painter tells me that they have no issues in the performance of Behr paint, what am I really supposed to think? There is only one thing I can think. You need to look closer at the walls you paint with this product or admit that you do not care about perfection.

o

I am all about perfection paintguy. That's how I keep my reputation over the years. I just tell it like it is. If you or anyone else find things wrong with Behr (fine and hunky dorey); :> I don't .

I don't and haven't had any issues with the way the paint goes on the wall, rolls, or brushes.

I look and examine the walls I PAINT and have a walk through each time.

I will admit to nothing THAT IS NOT TRUTH. Behr premium hasn't been any problems for me using.

Just like other things in life or on the market; everyone has an opinion about quality , durability, and longevity of s o m e t h i n g.

I can find fault with anything or anyone if I dig deep enough . ;)

o

Opinion is one thing and I know everyone has one. The big problem I have with Behr is that it flashes like crazy in critical light...this is a fact, not opinion. I also did a job last year where the paint would not stick to the walls in a powder room I was painting. Again, adhesion is something I demand from my coatings as a pro and again this is not opinion. Some homeowners don't notice the flashing, roller marks, the fact that it does not dry down as one evenly shiny surface when you are done. Some painters don't notice this either. I do and I will only use a paint that will not do this to me when the decision of which paint to use is up to me. As I said before....Behr is fine for your linen closet. It's an allright paint for areas that have no natural light coming in.

o

not to get into a pi$$ing contest with you here because I do understand all you are saying ; so here is a quarter and I have a violin ready if you need a tune.

I have had this to happen even with BM- regal products before they were reformulated with acrylic resins (and yes- NOT ALL Acrylic Resins are the same or equal; just like ice cream- not all ice cream is the same or equal).

As long as a paint performs for me and I don't have any problems,etc.etc. I will continue to use it and any other because I know any problems that would or could arise will not be from lack of prep. If I have any type of paint failure it will definitely go to a lab for analysis.

o

As long as a paint performs for me and I don't have any problems,etc.etc

What about coverage? The crap I had to use took 3 coats of white over previous white, to me that is not acceptable.

o

This applies to you also Chris:

not to get into a pi$$ing contest with you here because I do understand all you are saying ; so here is a quarter and I have a violin ready if you need a tune. "

I hear ya: I am on the same page . Just because you, Mo, Larry, or Curly has had problems with Behr does not mean EVERYONE has . I can name other paint products that don't perform as well either. As mentioned if I have issues with a product , then I will take measures; but until then Behr premium has not failed to do what a paint should FOR ME.

I have issues with other paints for rub off's, burnishing; when all the while their great marketing says otherwise. It's all a marketing game with paint companies and for that matter anyone who sells any type of products. Who can deliver the best marketing for sells. There are a few exceptions.

In your instance, if I had used a white paint (3 coats) over a white I would have personally taken the paint to Behr's headquarters and sent off for analysis. That would have been something for one of the chemist to have seen. Really strange. So yes, I know all about crappy paints or the ones I am familiar with and if you have problems using Behr , fine- who am I to say otherwise; but at the same time don't try and say this is an issue for EVERYONE or leave your walls BARE-don't use BEHR. That is Your Opinion and others that have had success have their opinions as well and while some homeowners may not see all the fine tuning with a paint product - I do. I have seen some crappy work done my so called "professional painters" and just wonder if they are still in business or do homeowners just accept what they get. So until I have problems with Behr I will keep using it and when I do "you and paintguy" will be the first to hear about it." You have a wonderful day. ;)

o

I think this gets back to the inconsistency of Behr, which I have experienced mostly with exterior grades. Dont know wether it's due to different lots being mixed at different plants/locations, but have found that sometimes the same color/grade will be fine, while other times not so much.

Dwalls, how much of your time does getting an analysis cost you? If I ran across a bunk batch of paint, I would simply ditch it for a higher end blend!

o

I actually happen to think that coverage is a separate issue entirely. It may have less to do with the quality of the paint and more to do with the actual color itself and what color you are painting over. Even Aura in white may take three coats. You can also look at Fine Paints of Europe, by far the best paint ever made and their white does not cover any better than other paint brands either. This is why so many painters choose to use a white with some black shot into it to help with coverage....a pure white is going to cover like crap in any brand. I'm not saying that Behr doesn't cover poorly because it is a low quality product...that may very well be why it doesn't cover. I'm just saying usually it is the color.

o

"If I ran across a bunk batch of paint, I would simply ditch it for a higher end blend!"

That's a general statement. As mentioned above, we are at the mercy of h.d. being the only game in town. It's go out of town for anything else. Something that hasn't been mentioned by any of the "pros" is temperature, humidity, and changes in those that effects most any brand. Like most things in building, remodel, repair world, there are many variables to consider. Bottom line is ,however, that you typically get what you pay for in most cases.

o

At the risk of starting another verbal war on this thread, last night I put up the first coat of Behr Premium Plus Ultra in the Dining Room. I used Desert Glow in eggshell, which is a saturated golden yellow. I was covering a medium beige satin. Following the cleaning advice I got here, I scrubbed first with a paint prep cleaner (couldn't find Dirtex so used another brand).

The paint went on fine as far as I could tell and seemed to cover reasonably well for a first coat. It didn't stink and cleaned up OK. Brushes cleaned easier than the roller, though. Since I bought the best rollers I could find for semi-rough, I don't just want to toss after one use. Took me 15 minutes to wash them in soap and water. The brushes cleaned like a breeze, though.

This morning when I looked at it dry and in daylight, it looked pretty good. Will share more after 2nd coat.

Try to play nice y'all, I'm just a girl with paintbrush :)
JG

o

sierra,
I only do exterior entry doors ; I don't do typical exteriors and if I did , I surely would not use Behr exterior. It would be another product. Interior Behr premium I haven't had a problem with the performance. I use 95% more of Benny Moore products. This has been my #1 staple and go getter for years.

Yes, temps, humidity, previous wall prep, painting interiors but being on outside walls, etc.; all of this plays an important part in the topcoat one uses. Paints are and can be finicky with other products and sometimes when attempted to be used with other products. Compatibility is one key element with any paint product or topcoat. Aura doesn't have a freeze/thaw cycle and I would never use it if allowed to be in freezing temps. I have seen first hand what Aura can do when used after allowed to freeze and what happens to the integrity of the paint film later on down the road as temperatures expand. So yes exteriors and interiors this can be a problem.

Haven't used FPE so I can't speak to how the paint does in comparison to anything else. Yep, sure do think one needs to look at the color already on the wall and what color is being painted over it. Most of all it pays to know the base and the colorants going into that can. This makes a world of difference in how it will cover and how the colors are viewed with both natural and artificial lighting. Lighting is key to any paint ; doesn't just have to be a boutique brand either. I know of some ole timers (as I call them-nothing to be offensive) who will have some black shot into an ultra white to calm it down. First of all, I won't use an electric white to begin with.

Sierra, you mentioned you get what you pay for in most cases; well I would happen to agree with you on some things, (but not all things) and of course that would include paint. I can get just as great of a wall finish and durability from using say valspar signature as I could with using Aura. I pay 44.99 for Aura and 23 for Valspar (depending on the chosen color). I can buy a pair of Levi jeans $30 and they will I guarantee wear just as long or longer than the "designer" pair I was stupid enough to buy .

o

Good points Dwalls. As an old man, I wear 15 buck wranglers but as a kid, did ice plant sledding down the hills wearing levis, and they always hung tough, especially when the cardboard sleds disappeared from the underside. Cant say wranglers would hang or not, but the sledding days are long gone, so I aint going to give that a go no how! I'll continue to use behr unless the customer is willing to pay for a road trip, but I have learned over the years it's all about prep anyhow, leastwise, it's a major factor in a decent paint project! Have a good one!

o

I think it's important to recognize that Behr has a new product on the shelves.

Does Behr have well documented issues with adhesion? Yes, they do. Does Behr have a history of inconsistency? Yes, and this thread demonstrates that perfectly as there is opinion from one dramatic extreme to another.

But, it's a new day. They have a new product. And while the marketing blip of "primer in the can" is controversial, maybe the actual product deserves a chance.

Obviously someone is trying at Behr. The new palette is drop-dead gorgeous; it is just choc-full of viable walls colors. Fully acknowledging that Behr is marketing to consumers first -- their in-store displays are just lovely as is all of the new collateral. You can see the effort to improve.

I'm willing to give it a chance. What may or may not have been *wrong* with Behr is very likely an old discussion. Looks to me like they're trying to evolve and move on and stay competitive in a very competitive arena. Time will tell -- I don't think anyone is in a position to speak to the current *ranking* of the new Behr product. It might be a little early to call it.

And, again, you have to get happy and maximize the enjoyment with the paint/color resources you do have access to and can comfortably afford. Altho in many cases a better grade and brand of paint only costs pennies per square, sometimes the extra pennies just are not there to spend. I've spec'd houses with Ellen Kennon in one area AND Kilz Casual Colors for another because there was a budget and that's how we made the most out of it. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Options that enable everyone and every budget to enhance their surroundings and improve their homes with color and fresh coats of paint is what we should all be striving for. Product ranging in quality from good to spectacular with multiple price-points facilitates that.

o

QUOTE:::: "Does Behr have well documented issues with adhesion? Yes, they do"

Where's the documented factual lab findings?

o

Where's the documented lab findings that says they didn't?

o

Your the one who brought up and posted saying there are documented issues and answered with "YES, THEY DO".

So, where are they- since you know so much about these factual findings. ;)

Documented on forums- uhhhhhhhh yeah from others- but where from Behr? :-w

o
Knuckles down

Ahhh, that's what I was waiting for. :)

So opinions as "documented on forums" really aren't anything anyone should pay much attention to. It's just opinion and relayed first-hand experiences from experienced professionals and cogent DIYers. So. That means this entire thread which ended up as a "for" or "against" Behr is rendered pointless and worthless - including your opinion, my opinion, paintguy, chris, the whole entire thread. So why post. Obviously, my attempt at bringing some fairness, objectivity, and balance to discussion wasn't successful. Everyone should just pack up their marbles and go home.

I may have to send some of my marbles "off to the lab for analysis" tho. I think they're flaking and chipping and not as shiny as it used to be. I'm sure it's due to chronic and severe product failure. Those darn marbles, just don't make 'em like they used to.

o

Actually funcolors, your attempts worked on me. I was just at Home Depot checking out the paint and as it turns out, I have never used Behr Premium Plus Ultra! So, I withdraw all my comments. I do think Behr should have actually named this new product something different though so as to have it stick out on the shelves a bit more. One is called Behr Premium and the new stuff is called Behr Premium Ultra (primer in the paint). I can't recall if they are both called Premium Plus or whatever...either way, the names are too similar! The Ultra is $32 and the regular old premium is $22. I have only used the $22 stuff.

o

ah- haaaaaa; yes forums, where else. #-o . I didn't think you had "factual" information from Behr. Hmmmmmmmmm- 100 people out of thousands & thousands & thousands; Yep, that would be it. Yep, that's where we all get our true and factual information folks (from forums). Not scientific documented data.

Yep pack up your marbles and go home because this was being based on the same o'same o' professionals. Every time I see a post about Behr you can guarantee and put a little bettin money down, the very select few will already have posted their negative opinions. It's a subjective few opinions my dear ; and it will be from the same ones everytime not the entire population . Same opinions that say to stay away from Behr ; Well frankly my dear, believe it or not there are others who have used Behr with NO PROBLEMS. Unless I see scientific factual documented data from the original source or from a ruling- Opinions are like A$$holes; everybody's got one.

Talk to me until you are blue and you have been around the block a time or two and you do the work yourself all the time, often times a lousy paint job and a great paint job is determined not from the surface being prepped , but HOW WELL the surface was prepped.

Adhesion of a paint product will not be a problem if the substrate has been prepped well and all products are compatible and one follows manufacturer's instructions. There will always be an underlying issue with paint adhesion if dug deep enough to find the root cause. It just doesn't magically appear. Ain't possible. Blame it on the paint as always.

Oh and by the way- your marbles are the cheap ones(the flat cheaper glass ones). That's why you are having so many problems. Try buying a much more "expensive" marble and you will see all the "luminous consistent" qualities a marble can offer . You won't loose any sleep over the flaking and chipping with a better priced named brand quality marble. =))

paintguy, I haven't used the Ultra also. I have only used the Premium and yes I too think it would have been a little easier if there was a significant difference in the chosen names of the two paints.

o

I agree, they should have named it something completely different. Strange marketing decision. Still haven't had time to put on the second coat. However, now that first coat is completely dry, it is interesting that the first coat looks the same on both a medium beige wall and a white wall (I was experimenting with white walls before I decided to go with some color). I think that bodes well for the second coat. It's hard for me to differentiate the paint from the color right now, because this wild bright golden yellow is just fabulous (but not for the faint of heart).

o

"because this wild bright golden yellow is just fabulous (but not for the faint of heart)."

I wear my sunglasses at night!

o

DW, I tried to subtly point out that you weren't quite on board with the discussion. As gently and as kindly as I could I was hoping you'd catch on and threw in a stroke of humor about marbles just to lighten the discussion.

It didn't work.

Paintguy, however, realized that he too wasn't initially picking up on what the OP had posted about and then he posted acknowledging that.

So while I'm sure you enjoyed your rant, and it was a good one, the post is about the new Behr Premium Plus Ultra, hon. Not the old, yet still on the shelves, Behr Premium Plus.

Behr introduced a brand new product around May of this year. The Press Release from Reuters is linked below. Since it's only been about six months since the new Behr Premium Plus Ultra was introduced, it's likely that no one is really in a position to comment much past preliminary impressions.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Behr Premium Plus Ultra

o

It's too bad it's unlikely that I'll ever get to try the new paint...I wouldn't mind using it just to formulate a real opinion on the matter. But the Behr name and Home Depots horrid service record are two pretty big roadblocks....even if they do indeed have a good product, their name may already be too trampled for painters to give them a real shot.

o

"Hon", I knew the (op) was talking about the ULTRA, and yes I was "on board" with the other topics of conversation which was only talking about "Behr" in general; didn't have to be about ultra, RL, flat, satin, etc. . It was about ABOUT USING BEHR PAINT IN GENERAL as a whole.

Maybe you are the one that needs to go back and reread all of the other responses; this way you will know even if a topic is about something "SPECIFIC", a generalization as a whole will be brought in to the discussion and that my dear is just what happened.

your stroke of humor about the marbles was reciprocated right back at ya ; oh and to *lighten* the discussion.

Hmmmmm, "rant", I believe we could say that is your opinion. No rant my dear, just stating how I see it; my opinion of course. ;)

I know all about the ULTRA being on the market. Just haven't had a call to use it. I'm sure you will be the first to inform everyone of the in/outs and A through z's of the product, (even if you are not a painter). Like myBIL, he's a master of all things. =)) I'll be waiting for your analysis. ;)

o

Oh, Dwalls, just you hush up now. Y'all need to play nice on this thread. Funcolors, please keep posting, I like your input and advice. Paintguy, you are cool for letting us know you hadn't tried it after all, whether you will in the future or not. I appreciate everyone's opinion, and DIY opinions are just as important to me (another DIYer) as professionals.

Cheers,
jg

o

Bottom line: If you are happy with it and for the pros, if their customers are happy with no call backs, then it's all good! :-)

o

I have to admit that I am real curious about the NEW Behr product, despite my complete satisfaction with BM Aura.

The NEW pallette for the Premium Plus product is really gorgeous. IMO it's what the BM Affinity pallette should have been-a small group of colors that are all workable.
BM's claim about picking any 3 Affinity colors and having them all work together doesn't mean anything if there are only 10% of the 144 colors would ever make a short list for me. I end up matching regular BM colors or just as often having my BM guy match an SW color in Aura.

I'd rather spend $32 than $50 per gallon-who wouldn't? I just don't want to start a project and have to switch gears mid-stream because I'm not getting the results I have been getting with Aura. Maybe what I need to do is try the Behr on a one gallon job like a bathroom and see what it's like.

o

The 365 colors on the new Ultra palette are gorgeous. But, if you do need something different, you've got 2000 regular Behr colors to pick from, too. I ended up doing that with my Desert Glow yellow. Of course there is color matching, but personally, I haven't had the best results from matching. I like having a color recipe ;-)

o

"Also available in-store, BEHR Premium Plus Ultra Interior will be offered in 8 oz. sample jars in an interior/exterior flat finish to allow visitors to experiment with color as they complete their design projects."

They will mix up any color in a fresh sample jar. RL, Glidden or Behr's new or old palette. They are fun, very fun. But as always, if you're really picky about color accuracy, a quart in the brand, grade and sheen you ultimately want to use is the best route.

Here's more about that fabulous NEW palette we're all drooling over:

"Color experts at BEHR have cultivated six design approaches featuring the unique four-color, leaf-shape mini-palettes created for the new BEHR Premium Plus Ultra Interior Color Center:

* Casual Charm - Casual and inviting, uses simple, but elegant furniture and design elements such as attractively slip covered upholstered chairs. BEHR colors featured: Green Energy, Retro Avocado, Sliced Cucumber, Ivy Topiary

* Classic Ease - In traditional rooms, finely crafted furniture usually takes center stage and colors are selected to communicate comfort and warmth, while the organization of the room conveys a classic sense of order. BEHR colors featured: Chocolate Swirl, Antique Copper, Toffee Bar, Basketry

* Global Escape - Involves decorating without borders and connecting with colors, exotic patterns, shapes and unique objects from different cultures. BEHR colors featured: High Drama, Spiced Plum, Tibetan Orange, Red Pepper

* Graphic Elegance - In contemporary styling, structure, form and décor combine harmoniously to make rooms simple, yet classy, and fashionable. BEHR colors featured: Pencil Point, Darkest Grape, Elephant Skin, Burnished Clay

* Modern Oasis - The modern look features uncluttered surfaces and bold geometric forms. These are accented by contrasting textures like tile and wood and highlighted with a few well-chosen ornaments and accessories. BEHR colors featured: Golden Leaf, Pyramid Gold, Macchiato, Dusty Olive

* Vintage Chic - Fresh, elegant approach that treats each room as a sanctuary, offering peace and serenity, and a reminder of earlier, and seemingly simpler, eras. BEHR colors featured: Caribe, Ozone, Lunar Shadow, English Channel"

o

In todays elegant and loquasious terminology of paint colors, the most amusing i've seen is "painted leather".
It's what we have on our exterior trim. Looks like brown to me!

o

I love all this over paint. As stated many times, I painted all 2200 sq feet of my home with Behr Eggshell 3 years ago; except the baths which I used one of there other lines. I used good quality tools and did my prep work. I have no fading or adhesion problems. I saved a fortune over BM, SW etc.

If it did start to 'not adhere' (?) I'd be peeved for sure but have no doubt HD would refund my $$$. Would BM or SW?

I do not really know if ultra is Behr 'trying' to make a 'better' product (mostly because it gets a pretty good rep in Consumer Reports anyway...perceived or not / tested or not / biased or etc etc). These known issues appear to be poopy poo...I'd love to see documentation. It admit it may well be a marketing ploy to make more $$$$....I mean it works for BM and such. Who knows. I just know I am satisifed.

If painting a single room, get a gallon of BM and brag away. If doing a home, try a gallon of each. Then got get your Behr and save a fortune! :)

(let the battle continue)

o

Three years ago is a really long time in paint world, andre; like dog years. Reformulations happen all the time in paint world and sometimes it's announced and sometimes it's not. Any issues that may or may not have existed with the older Behr product doesn't have anything to do with OP's topic plus it is like ancient history any way.

Like I said before, it's a new day and Ultra is a new product. Time to move on.

Several of us have tried reiterate and help with the understanding that the OP wasn't even inquiring about the product that you used - 3 years ago - which was Behr Premium Plus. If there is any kind of "battle" it manifested and continues to exist exclusively in individual minds that are choosing to speak to the past.

I think many of us have clearly moved on from an obsolete, irrelevant, and beat-to-death issue.

o

With all due respect I again say poopy poo!

I heard the same anti Behr stuff 3 years ago. I saw no proof it was bad then nor do I now. In fact, the performance I had 3 years ago only leads me to believe the 'new product' will be as good if not better. You say Behr is starting a whole 'new day' because they reformulate. So does SW and BM. What I think you are diplomatically trying to say is that Behr was iffy a few years back but hey, things change and maybe its better now. I simply do not buy into the argument that it was iffy years back and I'll have the same confidence in the product today that you would have with your BM or SW that you have used through the years.

I mean Toyotas generally are fine cars and if looking at new ones, most would not doubt their integrity just because a new model is coming out...they have a track record. I think Behr has a track record too. You do as well but you just feel its a poorish one. I simply have seen no evedence of this. The product has served HD customers well for years now.

To each his own and happy painting!

I only stumbled across this in my never ending quest to find a product I can apply over a walnut stained bath cabinet that will make it look whitewashed....any ideas would be appreciated!

o

I think many of us have clearly moved on from an obsolete, irrelevant, and beat-to-death issue.

You still seem to be beating it but I am taking my ball and going home.

o

With all due respect I again say poopy poo!

My favorite line in this thread. Do you mind if I use it as needed elsewhere?

o

I'll see your poopy poo and raise you one psychotropic pharmaceutical cocktail. 'Cuz this really is one of the more insane threads that's been on the paint forum - maybe ever - and I wonder if English isn't the first language for some of us.

o
Oh, me too.

... myself included in the crack about English, btw, as I'm questioning how I could have done a better job communicating the real issue, and important, relevant points.

o

Me English has been perfect.

o

feel free to use it..I heard a 6 year old say it in the food store the other day!

o

Just an update. My GC found an amazing amount of destruction under my kitchen subfloor, including an old car jack holding up the floor lol. So it will be a while before I can get the second coat up as they are ripping out my kitchen to replace the joists. I'll post pix after the second coat of paint. Wish me luck! BTW, this thread is hilarious. I had no idea I was such an instigator ;-) The Flooring forum is just dull compared to this one.

o
My final opinion on this paint

Thought I would give y'all my final opinion on this new paint. Basically, I'm not impressed with the coverage. On the positive side, it is easy to clean up and doesn't smell. On the negative side, while the first gallon seemed to cover pretty well on the first coat, the second gallon did not cover well. I'm not sure how many coats it will take to get coverage, maybe 3 or 4. Not sure why this happened. DH, who used the second gallon, did the TSP prep just like I did. Overall, I'm not a happy camper. I won't be buying it again. Thanks everyone.

o

I'm not impressed with the coverage.
Not sure why this happened

I bet funcolors will explain

o

Poor coverage usually is the fault of the color itself and not the brand.

o

Really? The color is Behr Desert Glow, a saturated golden yellow. Behr's whole thing with this paint is that you don't need a primer with intense colors, and someone said the Aura says the same thing, but it ain't so. So why would the first gallon cover fairly well but the second did not? Did they mix it wrong? The shade is the same between the 2, just the coverage is different.

I was mostly painting over medium beige, except for one wall that was white. The white wall will need a third coat, too. What do y'all think?

o

Poor coverage is usually the fault of the color itself, but of course it can also be because the paint is crappy. I'm just saying most times it is because of the actual color. Yellows can be hard because some of the colorants shot into a base may not have much hiding power. Aura is special because the actual colorants themselves are different. Behr is not Aura. Behr uses the same old universal tinting colorants that are used to tint any paint. It's true that Behr and BM may claim that you do not need a primer. They may also claim that all of their colors will cover in two coats. These are lies, and for some reason a paint manufacturer can print a lie right on their cans and not get into trouble. The important distinction though between Aura and Behr is that more colors will cover in two coats with Aura than with Behr, and it is probably a lot more.

o

Being one of those, or the only one on this thread that confused premium plus with the premium plus ultra, I recently used ultra on a bathroom in antique white. I thought, on another project using premium plus was okay after a primer coat followed by two coats premium plus. On the recent project, didn't use a primer coat with the ultra, just two coats, falling prey to the primer/paint ordeal. I think I would go back to using premium plus with a good primer rather than using the ultra again. The coverage wasn't as well with the ultra even with two coats and the colors of both projects were very similar. Proper prep/cleaning, a good primer, followed by two top coats is the m.o. that I should have stuck with, but got sucked into the "primer/paint in a can" trip with behr. H.D. is our only supplier in town, so typically behr it is. I wasn't impressed with the ultra.

o

Thanks, sierra, at least I'm not crazy if you had a similar experience with it.

It's hard to distinguish between paint and user error, which is why this forum is so helpful. I'm the first to admit I am no paint goddess. From now on primer is the way to go for me, too, regardless of paint company claims. At least I learned a lesson.

o

Oh absolutely.

It was totally the paint. I'm sure of it. Just because it was Behr. No other reason. Every other brand has *magic* colors and they all cover magically deliciously with no problems whatsoever -- ever. And they all have and self-certified lab results (from their own super smart scientists) to prove it.

So I'm kidding. Like in normal world with normal people I wouldn't even have to qualify that by saying I'm kidding but this thread got so stupid, I feel the need to make it as crystal clear as possible for everyone concerned just in case. I'm kidding - ya know humor where people smile and laugh and don't take things too seriously - that kind of kidding.

Sorry the new brew of Behr didn't work out for you, texasjg. Like PG said, could have something to do with which color you used.

The way it works in DIY world is if a DIYer feels shorted or less than happy with a brand - for whatever reason - on the first try, there isn't a second chance. Just because they paint on a basis that is usually infrequent and sporadic and they don't have the opportunity, time, or money to give second chances to cans of paint.

That's why when a DIYer does find a good fit with a brand of paint and they really like it to the point that painting is fun, then it becomes kinda personal with understandable passionate dedication.

Keeping an open mind with paint is really important and second chances can sometimes bring nice surprises.

I'm feeling like I need to explain and quantify "open mind" too, but I wanna eat my egg McMuffin before the cheese gets all glompy and gross.

o
'glompy and gross'

I've tried Egg McMuffin's in the past but found that I got better coverage with the bagels at Seattle's best. It was way easier going down the road munchin' out on it without the worry of the cheese getting all "glompy and gross". You pay more for the bagel, of course, but it sticks with you longer throughout the day despite the claims of, " everything in it for you for the day" that Mickey D's lays down. Best to use a good primer, something like ol'#7 in the mornin' coffee, but then you get to the site to lay down some paint and slop it it up anyhow!

o
tried it on cabinets too

funcolors, I agree with you. That's why it's good to hear other people's experience with it and paint in general. Last week I bought Ultra in a cobalt blue for the cabinets (this was before my second coat of yellow). First coat of the blue covered well just like my first coat/gallon of the yellow, but I did opt for Exterior grade in satin. The yellow walls are interior grade in eggshell. This is why I wonder if it is really the paint or me.

I used a TSP substitute on the walls and cabs before painting. I wonder if I got the good "grab" and coverage on the first coat because of that. Maybe this paint just doesn't like painting over itself, does that ever happen? I wonder if a swipe of the TSP over the previous coat would yield better results for the second coat. Thoughts?

All of you are now saying to yourselves, "bright yellow walls and cobalt blue cabinets? this woman is a nutcase!"

o

Lets all laugh until our belly hurt, tee-hee , ha-ha.

Things to add to using any paint product is the application of user spread rate. Not saying you didn't use the same spread and have the same wet film as before; just saying sometimes when the 1st coat has been applied there is film coverage and I have seen in some homes where it was obviously the 2nd coat applied was super thin and there will be a difference in the mil thickness.

Also has paintguy points out, some pigments are not as strength quality as others. BM makes and supplies their own resins and pigments. Depends on the supplier a paint manufacturer uses when pigments are purchased and the stability of the binder. Other things to consider is the starting base used and the amount of titanium dioxide in the base to begin with and whether the colorants used are transparent, opaque, organic or inorganic pigments, the tinting strength of a certain pigment, the chemical makeup or purity of a pigment; in addition to the scattering of the particle sizes of pigments; the way light interacts with those particles within a paint film through absorption, reflectance and scattering. All of these things play an important part to what is left on the surface of a dried film after the coalescing process. It is just NOT ONE single item. It can be several combined. The only paint I will rely on with the marketing slogans of primer in the can , paint primer all in one, (bla, bla, bla) is using Aura from BM. Use it many times over for customers without the aid of a primer beforehand.

o

On the cabinetry, texasjg, it might help with adhesion to lightly sand between coats.

o

Well, I don't even recognize color so I don't think you are a nutcase. It is absolutely true that some paints just don't apply as nicely on top of themselves. This first coat can go on nicely over the primer and the second coat may drag on top of itself. It is also true that paints apply nicely on one substrate and not so nicely on another so the surface you are painting can always be a factor. I honestly don't think that cleaning the surface with a TSP or substitute is going to help, but adding some extender or conditioner might.

o
RE: Any opinions on behr premium plus ultra.... paint?

You chose an exterior paint to use for interior work and that be for cabinets as well? Transparent or semi transparent pigments are for building up colors gradually and not to expect to get complete opaque coverage in the first go around. It just doesn't happen that way at all. Each pigment will have a lighfast rating, permanence rating and tinting strength quality.

I would not suggest going back over this with another dose of tsp substitute. Just make sure each coat has had sufficient time to dry and build up your color with the cobalt.

For cabinets I rely on XIM prep products.

o

Thanks, dwalls. I picked exterior for the cabs because I thought it would hold up better than the interior kind and HD's little chart said exterior satin was ok for interior cabs, but maybe that was just marketing again. Sierra, will lightly sand the cabs before next coat, that's a good idea. PG, extender is an idea I will think about, too.

I noticed that the spread was certainly thinner from the second gallon. In fact, when DH did the first coat from the second gallon I asked him how far he "pushed it" with spreading the paint because it looked terrible compared to the first coat I did with gallon #1. Coat #2 from the second gallon went on equally as thin.

Coat #1 of the blue paint went on nicely and covered well. Go figure! I'm just frustrated. I just want this project finished lol.

o

texasjg, if its any consolation to you. I have the same thing going on here with yellow paint. It is BM Aura. I have 2 coats on these walls, and it is definitely going to need a 3rd. Walls were originally off white, and I did use primer on all of them. Would have finished them already, but I have a patch to make where we removed a wall heater, so will wait until I have that done before finishing. I wont buy Aura ever again . I like some BM paints, but truthfully, I much prefer Valspar. Good Luck with your painting.

o

cat ky,
some of the yellows mixed in Aura are very saturated and require the undercoater primer first. Not for sure if you used this or what primer and what tint of primer you may have used? I do know the yellow foundation helps out tremoudously with a few of the color preview yellows and only two coats after the foundation primer. I don't have any issues with valspar either. Like the signature line better.

o

I used white primer, because when I primered it, hadnt decided on the color yet. It will look fine, once 3rd coat is on, but I dont think it should have taken 3 coats to cover, since it was light colored and then the primer to begin with. I used Valspar in my laundry, (also yellow), and also white primer over off white walls, and one coat would have actually been enough, but I did apply 2.

o

Thanks, cat, it's good to hear about your experience. I have used Valspar before and liked it, I think it was the Signature stuff, too, as dwalls mentioned.

o

Unless your yellow in the laundry room was the exact same color as the yellow you are using now in a different room, it would be unfair to compare the two in terms of which covered better. It would be the same deal with reds. A few small adjustments in the formula can take a good covering color and turn it into a seven coater.

o

I used Behr Premium Plus Ultra in 11/09. I liked it. It covered in one coat and was ultra thick, almost too thick. I just used it again (2/11)and it is NOT the same paint. It is really, really thin and didn't cover in one coat. I had to re-stir the paint every time I re-filled my paint pan. Also, when I opened the paint can I used in 2009, to do some touchup, the rim was totally rusted. I had to skim the rust from the top of the paint before I stirred it. Bottom line: I won't use it again. I have left over Porter paint from 2-3 years ago and those cans are not rusted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Depot

o

Ransmom,
I thought it was just me that got a bad can. I really loved it two years ago. Painted an oak kitchen nook table and bench seats.Covered quite well and held-up against 2 boys.But I was going to change my very very pale yellow color to a more off-white. Boy oh boy ,I think I'm looking at 3 coats..

Although Behr currently has the Greenguard approval, maybe there has been changes in the formula for the never ending search for lower and lower VOCs..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here