Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txjg

Any opinions on behr premium plus ultra paint?

Jordana George
14 years ago

I am considering using behr premium plus ultra paint in my kitchen. I only found one mention of it on GW from 2008 and that person was pleased with it. I'd appreciate opinions from people who have used it. I live out in the boonies, so HD or Ace is much more convenient than SW or BM. Our HD paint guy is actually pretty knowledgable. He does have a dorky assistant most days, but the old pro knows his stuff, so the service issue at HD isn't bad for us like big city HD stores. I have no problem spending more for better quality. Also, what do y'all think about using eggshell on kitchen walls instead of semi gloss or satin? I'm tired of shiny walls in the kitchen, looks so dated. TIA everyone!

Comments (104)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

"Also available in-store, BEHR Premium Plus Ultra Interior will be offered in 8 oz. sample jars in an interior/exterior flat finish to allow visitors to experiment with color as they complete their design projects."

They will mix up any color in a fresh sample jar. RL, Glidden or Behr's new or old palette. They are fun, very fun. But as always, if you're really picky about color accuracy, a quart in the brand, grade and sheen you ultimately want to use is the best route.

Here's more about that fabulous NEW palette we're all drooling over:

"Color experts at BEHR have cultivated six design approaches featuring the unique four-color, leaf-shape mini-palettes created for the new BEHR Premium Plus Ultra Interior Color Center:

* Casual Charm - Casual and inviting, uses simple, but elegant furniture and design elements such as attractively slip covered upholstered chairs. BEHR colors featured: Green Energy, Retro Avocado, Sliced Cucumber, Ivy Topiary

* Classic Ease - In traditional rooms, finely crafted furniture usually takes center stage and colors are selected to communicate comfort and warmth, while the organization of the room conveys a classic sense of order. BEHR colors featured: Chocolate Swirl, Antique Copper, Toffee Bar, Basketry

* Global Escape - Involves decorating without borders and connecting with colors, exotic patterns, shapes and unique objects from different cultures. BEHR colors featured: High Drama, Spiced Plum, Tibetan Orange, Red Pepper

* Graphic Elegance - In contemporary styling, structure, form and décor combine harmoniously to make rooms simple, yet classy, and fashionable. BEHR colors featured: Pencil Point, Darkest Grape, Elephant Skin, Burnished Clay

* Modern Oasis - The modern look features uncluttered surfaces and bold geometric forms. These are accented by contrasting textures like tile and wood and highlighted with a few well-chosen ornaments and accessories. BEHR colors featured: Golden Leaf, Pyramid Gold, Macchiato, Dusty Olive

* Vintage Chic - Fresh, elegant approach that treats each room as a sanctuary, offering peace and serenity, and a reminder of earlier, and seemingly simpler, eras. BEHR colors featured: Caribe, Ozone, Lunar Shadow, English Channel"

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

In todays elegant and loquasious terminology of paint colors, the most amusing i've seen is "painted leather".
    It's what we have on our exterior trim. Looks like brown to me!

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

I love all this over paint. As stated many times, I painted all 2200 sq feet of my home with Behr Eggshell 3 years ago; except the baths which I used one of there other lines. I used good quality tools and did my prep work. I have no fading or adhesion problems. I saved a fortune over BM, SW etc.

If it did start to 'not adhere' (?) I'd be peeved for sure but have no doubt HD would refund my $$$. Would BM or SW?

I do not really know if ultra is Behr 'trying' to make a 'better' product (mostly because it gets a pretty good rep in Consumer Reports anyway...perceived or not / tested or not / biased or etc etc). These known issues appear to be poopy poo...I'd love to see documentation. It admit it may well be a marketing ploy to make more $$$$....I mean it works for BM and such. Who knows. I just know I am satisifed.

If painting a single room, get a gallon of BM and brag away. If doing a home, try a gallon of each. Then got get your Behr and save a fortune! :)

(let the battle continue)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Three years ago is a really long time in paint world, andre; like dog years. Reformulations happen all the time in paint world and sometimes it's announced and sometimes it's not. Any issues that may or may not have existed with the older Behr product doesn't have anything to do with OP's topic plus it is like ancient history any way.

Like I said before, it's a new day and Ultra is a new product. Time to move on.

Several of us have tried reiterate and help with the understanding that the OP wasn't even inquiring about the product that you used - 3 years ago - which was Behr Premium Plus. If there is any kind of "battle" it manifested and continues to exist exclusively in individual minds that are choosing to speak to the past.

I think many of us have clearly moved on from an obsolete, irrelevant, and beat-to-death issue.

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

With all due respect I again say poopy poo!

I heard the same anti Behr stuff 3 years ago. I saw no proof it was bad then nor do I now. In fact, the performance I had 3 years ago only leads me to believe the 'new product' will be as good if not better. You say Behr is starting a whole 'new day' because they reformulate. So does SW and BM. What I think you are diplomatically trying to say is that Behr was iffy a few years back but hey, things change and maybe its better now. I simply do not buy into the argument that it was iffy years back and I'll have the same confidence in the product today that you would have with your BM or SW that you have used through the years.

I mean Toyotas generally are fine cars and if looking at new ones, most would not doubt their integrity just because a new model is coming out...they have a track record. I think Behr has a track record too. You do as well but you just feel its a poorish one. I simply have seen no evedence of this. The product has served HD customers well for years now.

To each his own and happy painting!

I only stumbled across this in my never ending quest to find a product I can apply over a walnut stained bath cabinet that will make it look whitewashed....any ideas would be appreciated!

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    14 years ago

I think many of us have clearly moved on from an obsolete, irrelevant, and beat-to-death issue.

You still seem to be beating it but I am taking my ball and going home.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

With all due respect I again say poopy poo!

My favorite line in this thread. Do you mind if I use it as needed elsewhere?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

I'll see your poopy poo and raise you one psychotropic pharmaceutical cocktail. 'Cuz this really is one of the more insane threads that's been on the paint forum - maybe ever - and I wonder if English isn't the first language for some of us.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

... myself included in the crack about English, btw, as I'm questioning how I could have done a better job communicating the real issue, and important, relevant points.

• paintguy22
    14 years ago

Me English has been perfect.

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

feel free to use it..I heard a 6 year old say it in the food store the other day!

• Jordana George
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just an update. My GC found an amazing amount of destruction under my kitchen subfloor, including an old car jack holding up the floor lol. So it will be a while before I can get the second coat up as they are ripping out my kitchen to replace the joists. I'll post pix after the second coat of paint. Wish me luck! BTW, this thread is hilarious. I had no idea I was such an instigator ;-) The Flooring forum is just dull compared to this one.

• Jordana George
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thought I would give y'all my final opinion on this new paint. Basically, I'm not impressed with the coverage. On the positive side, it is easy to clean up and doesn't smell. On the negative side, while the first gallon seemed to cover pretty well on the first coat, the second gallon did not cover well. I'm not sure how many coats it will take to get coverage, maybe 3 or 4. Not sure why this happened. DH, who used the second gallon, did the TSP prep just like I did. Overall, I'm not a happy camper. I won't be buying it again. Thanks everyone.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    14 years ago

I'm not impressed with the coverage.
    Not sure why this happened

I bet funcolors will explain

• paintguy22
    14 years ago

Poor coverage usually is the fault of the color itself and not the brand.

• Jordana George
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Really? The color is Behr Desert Glow, a saturated golden yellow. Behr's whole thing with this paint is that you don't need a primer with intense colors, and someone said the Aura says the same thing, but it ain't so. So why would the first gallon cover fairly well but the second did not? Did they mix it wrong? The shade is the same between the 2, just the coverage is different.

I was mostly painting over medium beige, except for one wall that was white. The white wall will need a third coat, too. What do y'all think?

• paintguy22
    14 years ago

Poor coverage is usually the fault of the color itself, but of course it can also be because the paint is crappy. I'm just saying most times it is because of the actual color. Yellows can be hard because some of the colorants shot into a base may not have much hiding power. Aura is special because the actual colorants themselves are different. Behr is not Aura. Behr uses the same old universal tinting colorants that are used to tint any paint. It's true that Behr and BM may claim that you do not need a primer. They may also claim that all of their colors will cover in two coats. These are lies, and for some reason a paint manufacturer can print a lie right on their cans and not get into trouble. The important distinction though between Aura and Behr is that more colors will cover in two coats with Aura than with Behr, and it is probably a lot more.

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

Being one of those, or the only one on this thread that confused premium plus with the premium plus ultra, I recently used ultra on a bathroom in antique white. I thought, on another project using premium plus was okay after a primer coat followed by two coats premium plus. On the recent project, didn't use a primer coat with the ultra, just two coats, falling prey to the primer/paint ordeal. I think I would go back to using premium plus with a good primer rather than using the ultra again. The coverage wasn't as well with the ultra even with two coats and the colors of both projects were very similar. Proper prep/cleaning, a good primer, followed by two top coats is the m.o. that I should have stuck with, but got sucked into the "primer/paint in a can" trip with behr. H.D. is our only supplier in town, so typically behr it is. I wasn't impressed with the ultra.

• Jordana George
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, sierra, at least I'm not crazy if you had a similar experience with it.

It's hard to distinguish between paint and user error, which is why this forum is so helpful. I'm the first to admit I am no paint goddess. From now on primer is the way to go for me, too, regardless of paint company claims. At least I learned a lesson.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Oh absolutely.

It was totally the paint. I'm sure of it. Just because it was Behr. No other reason. Every other brand has *magic* colors and they all cover magically deliciously with no problems whatsoever -- ever. And they all have and self-certified lab results (from their own super smart scientists) to prove it.

So I'm kidding. Like in normal world with normal people I wouldn't even have to qualify that by saying I'm kidding but this thread got so stupid, I feel the need to make it as crystal clear as possible for everyone concerned just in case. I'm kidding - ya know humor where people smile and laugh and don't take things too seriously - that kind of kidding.

Sorry the new brew of Behr didn't work out for you, texasjg. Like PG said, could have something to do with which color you used.

The way it works in DIY world is if a DIYer feels shorted or less than happy with a brand - for whatever reason - on the first try, there isn't a second chance. Just because they paint on a basis that is usually infrequent and sporadic and they don't have the opportunity, time, or money to give second chances to cans of paint.

That's why when a DIYer does find a good fit with a brand of paint and they really like it to the point that painting is fun, then it becomes kinda personal with understandable passionate dedication.

Keeping an open mind with paint is really important and second chances can sometimes bring nice surprises.

I'm feeling like I need to explain and quantify "open mind" too, but I wanna eat my egg McMuffin before the cheese gets all glompy and gross.

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

I've tried Egg McMuffin's in the past but found that I got better coverage with the bagels at Seattle's best. It was way easier going down the road munchin' out on it without the worry of the cheese getting all "glompy and gross". You pay more for the bagel, of course, but it sticks with you longer throughout the day despite the claims of, " everything in it for you for the day" that Mickey D's lays down. Best to use a good primer, something like ol'#7 in the mornin' coffee, but then you get to the site to lay down some paint and slop it it up anyhow!

• Jordana George
    Original Author
    14 years ago

funcolors, I agree with you. That's why it's good to hear other people's experience with it and paint in general. Last week I bought Ultra in a cobalt blue for the cabinets (this was before my second coat of yellow). First coat of the blue covered well just like my first coat/gallon of the yellow, but I did opt for Exterior grade in satin. The yellow walls are interior grade in eggshell. This is why I wonder if it is really the paint or me.

I used a TSP substitute on the walls and cabs before painting. I wonder if I got the good "grab" and coverage on the first coat because of that. Maybe this paint just doesn't like painting over itself, does that ever happen? I wonder if a swipe of the TSP over the previous coat would yield better results for the second coat. Thoughts?

All of you are now saying to yourselves, "bright yellow walls and cobalt blue cabinets? this woman is a nutcase!"

• decorativewalls
    14 years ago

Lets all laugh until our belly hurt, tee-hee , ha-ha.

Things to add to using any paint product is the application of user spread rate. Not saying you didn't use the same spread and have the same wet film as before; just saying sometimes when the 1st coat has been applied there is film coverage and I have seen in some homes where it was obviously the 2nd coat applied was super thin and there will be a difference in the mil thickness.

Also has paintguy points out, some pigments are not as strength quality as others. BM makes and supplies their own resins and pigments. Depends on the supplier a paint manufacturer uses when pigments are purchased and the stability of the binder. Other things to consider is the starting base used and the amount of titanium dioxide in the base to begin with and whether the colorants used are transparent, opaque, organic or inorganic pigments, the tinting strength of a certain pigment, the chemical makeup or purity of a pigment; in addition to the scattering of the particle sizes of pigments; the way light interacts with those particles within a paint film through absorption, reflectance and scattering. All of these things play an important part to what is left on the surface of a dried film after the coalescing process. It is just NOT ONE single item. It can be several combined. The only paint I will rely on with the marketing slogans of primer in the can , paint primer all in one, (bla, bla, bla) is using Aura from BM. Use it many times over for customers without the aid of a primer beforehand.

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

On the cabinetry, texasjg, it might help with adhesion to lightly sand between coats.

• paintguy22
    14 years ago

Well, I don't even recognize color so I don't think you are a nutcase. It is absolutely true that some paints just don't apply as nicely on top of themselves. This first coat can go on nicely over the primer and the second coat may drag on top of itself. It is also true that paints apply nicely on one substrate and not so nicely on another so the surface you are painting can always be a factor. I honestly don't think that cleaning the surface with a TSP or substitute is going to help, but adding some extender or conditioner might.

• decorativewalls
    14 years ago

You chose an exterior paint to use for interior work and that be for cabinets as well? Transparent or semi transparent pigments are for building up colors gradually and not to expect to get complete opaque coverage in the first go around. It just doesn't happen that way at all. Each pigment will have a lighfast rating, permanence rating and tinting strength quality.

I would not suggest going back over this with another dose of tsp substitute. Just make sure each coat has had sufficient time to dry and build up your color with the cobalt.

For cabinets I rely on XIM prep products.

• Jordana George
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, dwalls. I picked exterior for the cabs because I thought it would hold up better than the interior kind and HD's little chart said exterior satin was ok for interior cabs, but maybe that was just marketing again. Sierra, will lightly sand the cabs before next coat, that's a good idea. PG, extender is an idea I will think about, too.

I noticed that the spread was certainly thinner from the second gallon. In fact, when DH did the first coat from the second gallon I asked him how far he "pushed it" with spreading the paint because it looked terrible compared to the first coat I did with gallon #1. Coat #2 from the second gallon went on equally as thin.

Coat #1 of the blue paint went on nicely and covered well. Go figure! I'm just frustrated. I just want this project finished lol.

• cat_ky
    14 years ago

texasjg, if its any consolation to you. I have the same thing going on here with yellow paint. It is BM Aura. I have 2 coats on these walls, and it is definitely going to need a 3rd. Walls were originally off white, and I did use primer on all of them. Would have finished them already, but I have a patch to make where we removed a wall heater, so will wait until I have that done before finishing. I wont buy Aura ever again . I like some BM paints, but truthfully, I much prefer Valspar. Good Luck with your painting.

• decorativewalls
    14 years ago

cat ky,
    some of the yellows mixed in Aura are very saturated and require the undercoater primer first. Not for sure if you used this or what primer and what tint of primer you may have used? I do know the yellow foundation helps out tremoudously with a few of the color preview yellows and only two coats after the foundation primer. I don't have any issues with valspar either. Like the signature line better.

• cat_ky
    14 years ago

I used white primer, because when I primered it, hadnt decided on the color yet. It will look fine, once 3rd coat is on, but I dont think it should have taken 3 coats to cover, since it was light colored and then the primer to begin with. I used Valspar in my laundry, (also yellow), and also white primer over off white walls, and one coat would have actually been enough, but I did apply 2.

• Jordana George
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, cat, it's good to hear about your experience. I have used Valspar before and liked it, I think it was the Signature stuff, too, as dwalls mentioned.

• paintguy22
    14 years ago

Unless your yellow in the laundry room was the exact same color as the yellow you are using now in a different room, it would be unfair to compare the two in terms of which covered better. It would be the same deal with reds. A few small adjustments in the formula can take a good covering color and turn it into a seven coater.

• ransmom
    13 years ago

I used Behr Premium Plus Ultra in 11/09. I liked it. It covered in one coat and was ultra thick, almost too thick. I just used it again (2/11)and it is NOT the same paint. It is really, really thin and didn't cover in one coat. I had to re-stir the paint every time I re-filled my paint pan. Also, when I opened the paint can I used in 2009, to do some touchup, the rim was totally rusted. I had to skim the rust from the top of the paint before I stirred it. Bottom line: I won't use it again. I have left over Porter paint from 2-3 years ago and those cans are not rusted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Depot

• 4boys2
    13 years ago

Ransmom,
    I thought it was just me that got a bad can. I really loved it two years ago. Painted an oak kitchen nook table and bench seats.Covered quite well and held-up against 2 boys.But I was going to change my very very pale yellow color to a more off-white. Boy oh boy ,I think I'm looking at 3 coats..

Although Behr currently has the Greenguard approval, maybe there has been changes in the formula for the never ending search for lower and lower VOCs..

• mishva
    9 years ago

We have used Behr paint for many years now. We wash our walls far more often than most people. Not because we are clean freaks, but with two shar-pei dogs in the household, there is not other choice. They love to drink huge quantities of water, and trail it all over the house. They also froth at the mouth, then shake their heads vigorously, leaving all sorts of splatter and matter on our walls. Yuck! Year after year, the paint remains on the wall, and stays true to the original color. We would not try another brand. Why mess with success? I also find the paint very easy to work with and have never had to use more than two coats, even on our plaster walls!

• andrelaplume2
    9 years ago

Just used Behr all in one at a beauty shop. It was thick but easy to work with. I wonder if the prior poster had the can shaken? Some new paint cans are plastic and won't rust. Old ones did if kept in a humid area like a garage or basement.

• lam702
    9 years ago

You know, I've used Behr premium plus with no problems at all. I've been very pleased with it overall. I have had some issues with HD's paint color mixing however. My last paint job, I chose 2 coordinating colors for above/below my chair rail. Although each can was marked with the right color, the paint in both cans was the same color. This is not a problem with the quality of the paint, but rather the attention to color mixing from the staff.

• PRO
    Davis Painting
    7 years ago

Long-time pro painter here. Personally, I don't like Behr paint. And I particularly don't like Behr Premium Plus. It runs too easily; it dries splotchy, and it takes a long time to dry. And don't dare use it in a sprayer! You won't be happy. I would stick with Sherwin-Williams paints, either 'Duration', 'Emerald', or 'Cashmere'. They are higher-end paints but worth the price difference over Behr paint.

• PRO
    Paint sales at Home Depot
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Are we trying to revive Lazarus here ? :)

There are two criteria for "high end" latex paints: 100% acrylic resin, and premium titanium dioxide as its pigment, instead of calcium carbonate, talc, silicates, etc. Both Behr Premium Plus and Premium Plus Ultra are pure acrylic resin. Both have about 2 1/2 ponds of titanium. The Ultra adds to this nano sized particles of another metal which fills in the gaps between the TiO2. This "nano-ized" formula increases the density of the paint film.This makes Ultra inherently mildew resistant, although ALL Behr products contain chemical mildecides. It also increases adhesion, as the nano particles can penetrate the substrate. The nano formula also makes the Ultra extremely stain blocking.

I am a former third generation painting contractor with over 35 years in the field. I use Behr products exclusively in and outside my home here in Portland, Oregon. During my contacting years, I was primarily a user of Ben Moore products, mainly because customers wanted to see a name brand product. I would categorically state that i find the Behr products to be the equal or better than those BM products i had used.

Since I have been away from contracting for 11 years now, I have not used some of the later iterations of BM, such as Aura. Aura does rate highly with Consumers, but then., at its cost, it should! That is more than I can say for SW products that rate mediocre, but still carry sky high prices.

In full disclosure, since my "retirement" here in Portland, after having moved here from Chicago, I have been selling Behr products at my local Home Depot for 11 years, and hope to continue doing so as long as I am able. A 73, one never knows.

• PRO
    7 years ago

Are we trying to revive Lazarus here ? :)

There are two criteria for "high end" paints: 100% acrylic resin, and premium titanium dioxide as its pigment, instead of calcium carbonate, talc, silicates, etc. Both Behr Premium Plus and Premium Plus Ultra are pure acrylic resin. Both have about 2 1/2 ponds of titanium. The Ultra adds to this nano sized particles of another metal which fills in the gaps between the TiO2. This "nano-ized" formula increases the density of the paint film.This makes Ultra inherently mildew resistant, although ALL Behr products contain chemical mildecides. It also increases adhesion, as the nano particles can penetrate the substrate. The nano formula also makes the Ultra extremely stain blocking.

I am a former third generation painting contractor with over 35 years in the field. I use Behr products exclusively in and outside my home here in Portland, Oregon. During my contacting years, I was primarily a user of Ben Moore products, mainly because customers wanted to see a name brand product. I would categorically state that i find the Behr products to be the equal or better than those BM products i had used.

Since I have been away from contracting for 11 years now, I have not used some of the later iterations of BM, such as Aura. Aura does rate highly with Consumers, but then., at its cost, it should! That is more than I can say for SW products that rate mediocre, but still carry sky high prices.

In full disclosure, since my "retirement" here in Portland, after having moved here from Chicago, I have been selling Behr products at my local Home Depot for 11 years, and hope to continue doing so as long as I am able. A 73, one never knows.

• PRO
    Davis Painting
    7 years ago

David Jensen - an answer I would expect from a Behr salesman of 11 years. I don't sell paint so I have no allegiance whatsoever. What I can say is simply this: from my many years of painting experience, and especially as of the last 10 years, the saying "Better Bare than Behr" often heard by reputable painting contractors, has never been more true. Despite all the chemical names and lingo, the practical application is ALL that counts. Behr paint simply does not hold up to the qualities necessary to call something a "good paint job" in my opinion. I.E. no runs, sticks evenly to surface, sprays smoothly, dries without splotching, holds up under normal wear, etc. I haven't used every single Behr product, but I've used most of them. I have used every Ben Moore product and every SW product, however. For my reputation, I stick with SW as much as possible. No offense, just my opinion.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Painted through college, and off and on thru the years. I typically use SW products but they've been pissing me off lately.

I just finished painting every surface of my inlaws cottage. They requested Behr. I used the Premium Plus Ultra.

So most amateurs suffer from two bad habits when painting - not enough paint on the roller, and overworking the paint on the wall. The PPU is a very forgiving paint. Yes, it seems "thin" but it covers and you can't overwork it. Just watch my f.i.l. paint some time.

It can drip and run. But it covers beautifully and the eggshell is quite scrubbable.

I'm okay with recommending this paint.

• PRO
    7 years ago

Davis Painting - I can only give you my experience with the Behr products. I literally have them on every surface inside and outside my home. I have never had a problem with application or long term wear.

I can't tell you personally how they spray,. as the great majority of my business was occupied, high end housing, and general spraying does not lend itself to that niche. I do sell ever increasing amounts of Behr to commercial accounts who are successfully spraying it.

In my less than humble opinion, most of the problems consumers and alleged "pros" have with Behr ( or any paint), is that they just either don't know good paint practices, or how paint reacts over different surfaces. I am amazed at how many "pros" come in looking for spray tips and don't even know what those 3 numbers mean on the tip!

• paintguy22
    7 years ago

Since this thread started many years ago, my guess is that by now, most manufacturers are pretty much making the same paint. 8 years ago, we were still in that transitional period from vinyls to acrylics, but by now the secret is out and the formula for making good paint is known by all. I think it is just a matter of a manufacturer deciding how much titanium dioxide to put in their paints and how much cheap filler. It's funny to me now to see or hear commercials that claim there is some new paint that is going to take the world by storm....yea right, the only way you are going to impress me at this point is if you can make a paint that applies itself.

A lot of painters like to bash Behr, but hey what can you do? With the reputation Home Depot has for screwing things up and the quality of the Behr paint in the past, you are not going to win over everybody. My biggest problem with Behr at this stage is just my fear of being mistinted.

• PRO
    7 years ago

PaintGuy22 - The tinting process is "almost" fool proof. It is highly automated with the name of the paint color being scanned from the bar code on the color card, or from the label on top of the previously mixed paint can. The scan guns prevent paint from being dispensed if the information on the computer screen does not agree with the bar code on the paint can. It is incumbent upon the paint associate to accurately determine what type of paint, color, sheen and amount the customer needs.

The tinting machines are extremely accurate, with amounts as little as 1/ 768th of an ounce capable of being dispensed. But, anything mechanical can now and then malfunction. Anything being run by humans can also be screwed up, but if the original information was properly entered into the computer, there should not be problems.

HD doesn't spare the equipment expense when trying to provide a good end product. There is over $20K of paint dispensing equipment in every HD store, this times over 2000 stores throughout the US and Canada.

I would not argue that there is sometimes a problem with finding and keeping good paint counter personnel. This is not only a problem with the "big box" stores, but with other retailers. Even Sherwin-Williams has its turnover problems. The problem is that retail never pays as well as what a knowledgeable tradesman can make out working in the field, so, retailers are forced to try to train people without a paint background.

• paintguy22
    7 years ago

Well, I have met some good paint people that work at HD. I'm just saying it feels like it's hit or miss and my faith in the competence of the HD people is not as good as my faith in the people at my real paint store. But, you know how it goes, I find the people I trust and then stick with them.

• PRO
    7 years ago

I wouldn't argue with you paintguy, it is somewhat hit or miss at HD, even at the same store. I frequently have customers asking when I am on duty, as they think that I am 'the paint guru", as even my colleagues jest.

• andrelaplume2
    6 years ago

I am repainting again after 12 years and using behr again after 12 years and it still working out fine for me. One thing they do have a super Grand special Marquee behr $43 a gallon one-coat coverage paint now however I'm sticking with the $25 a gallon thing I always used. Of note though when you have a custom color mixed in the little tiny sample size plastic bottle to paint on your wall to see if you like the color ...that is they tell me the Grand Marquis paint and it does seem to cover in one coat... however I'm not ballsy enough to buy a gallon of it to see if that really works.. I'm not a pro and in all likelihood it will take me 2 coats whatever I do. . However I am using that little tiny $4 thing I had mixed up to go all around the corners and ceiling because it does seem to cover in one coat and then I'll just use the $28 egshell a gallon to roll my walls so it saves me the step of double coating around the perimeter... Which to me is the biggest p i t a. just my two cents

• PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

andrelaplume2,

The Marquee will always cover better than the regular Premium Plus or PP Ultra. It has considerably more white titanium dioxide than the Premium Plus and the Ultra.To compensate for the additional white pigment, it also needs more tint to produce the same color as the two lesser grades. However, the one coat guarantee is not for all colors, but only those sanctioned as one coat. These include tints that are known to increase coverage.

My "go-to" paint for my home is still Ultra. It is a great paint at a reasonable price. I have used the Marquee when I absolutely did not want to have to do two coats. I recently did my master bedroom which has 12 foot ceilings and wall closets that I have to climb on top of. At 75 years of age, I just don't want to have to do this twice!

As to the sample jars: all the Behr and Glidden/PPG paints are available in all their lines of paint, but not in all the sheens. Presently, if you insisted on an eggshell Behr sampler, it would have to be in the Marquee.

End of commercial. :) And yes, I do work for Home Depot, and no, I do not get paid for answering blogs. I am sitting here at home as I write this. I guess I am a true amateur, "one who does something for the love of the activity"

• andrelaplume2
    6 years ago

Yup..I wanted egdhell...gave me Marquee sample...using around edges..covering in one coat...awesome!... I got the PP purple label egshelllfor rolling walls...