Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris401_gw

Oil-based white paint yellowed in days -- need replacement

chris401
9 years ago

Hi all, many thanks to the community. We are nearing the end of building our new house. The builder used an oil-based paint on all doors, trim, and cabinets (color: BM super white). It yellowed within days in some areas, and dramatically now that it has been a few months. The pocket doors in particular look like they were painted a specific marigold yellow or similar.

We learned from the painting sub and the BM store that both warned our builder about yellowing for oil-based paints, but that he ignored them and went with it anyway. After some back and forth, he has agreed to re-paint.

The plan now: use Stix primer (no sanding apparently needed). Then apply latex or acrylic or something. I'm not sure I understand the difference. BM's Aura has been suggested. So has BM's Hybrid Advance. I have no idea if there are cost issues or not. I just want the best quality product that will keep the Super White color as long as possible. The house design is modern, so crisp white fits better than a cream or antique or buttery white (or, in the case of the dark closets and pocket doors, straight up yellow). Apparently we need to decide very soon (today or tomorrow?).

Many many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Comments (10)

• chris401
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I should mention one thing: The house is basically finished (carpet, wood floors, etc. all installed), so I don't think spraying is an option. It will need to be brush applied.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    9 years ago

So has BM's Hybrid Advance.

Which is an oil hybrid and will still yellow over time. I would use the Aura

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    9 years ago

or this one
    Regal select waterborne

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

If it yellowed literally within days (under a week) then it was not the "oil paints yellow over time" issue, but something else. Was the new wood primed with the right primer?
    I painted my kitchen soffit trims with Ben Moore Dulamel (or Satin Impervo; oil) in 2006 and the ceiling an eggshell latex both mixed in the exact same color, and the oil has not yet yellowed to the point you could see a difference in a side-by-side comparison, and it's 8 years in to my "test". Up at the ceiling line it never sees direct sun to help keep it lighter (UV light negates the yellowing process)
    So within days? seriously, that is some other deal going on.
    Casey

• Michael
    9 years ago

It's not the paint!

• paintguy22
    9 years ago

That painter should get his rep out there. Something else is going on, though pocket doors will yellow quicker than other areas because when they are closed it is dark in the wall cavity and oil paint will yellow quicker in the absence of sunlight. Also, do not allow your painter to just use Stix without sanding. Sanding is a required step, regardless of what the labels on the can says. If the idea is to fix the problem by converting to acrylic paint, then you do everything you can to ensure that the paint will adhere and sanding is part of that process.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

I'd bet that the tannins in the wood are bleeding through because of an improper primer.

• klfricke
    8 years ago

Chris. ... It's now Aug 2015, and I"m experiencing the same problems with yellowing within a few weeks of application. I'd like to know, what paint did you finally choose, and was it a good choice? My original paint is Satin Impervo Oil Based in Chantilly Lace. I, too, have a modern kitchen that needs the bright white look, plus cleanability. Help!!

• Greg Weir
    2 years ago

Ok this is for those who stumble upon this thread years later like I did. It is now August 2021. I used Benjamin Moore OC-17 White Dove on walls (flat) and trim (satin) and within 3-4 weeks most of the trim yellowed. This was on sanded and primed old trim and crown, as well as on brand new primed trim and crown. My contractor spoke with a BM rep and said the guy indicated that this is a known issue. Rep said something about "was the room dark a lot", like low to no light would cause this...HA HA HA. Seriously!

Working on resolution now. Obviously they will replace the materials, but who will pay for labor to redo it all?

• Julie Garcy
    3 months ago

I have the same issue! Contractor suggested oil paint because all of the woodwork, base and crowns are oil. I had the painter use Chantilly Lace too because my home is in the soft blue and Crisp, creamy white.. so I thought!! The painter said due to the oil in the paint and since it wasn’t water based latex, it naturally yellows! Well, hello! Could that have been conveyed BEFORE the project was nearly completed? Now sadly I have white white marble countertops and showers and cream woodwork… all for the low, low price, duh not really! So I can go the BM if I have an issue? No happy! Has ruined “the look” Disappointed beyond!

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks