Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jks523

Paint color help!

jks523
13 years ago

Hi everyone!

I'm in desperate need of some paint advice. I just recently moved in to my first house and it is in need of some color. It has a very open living room with a connected dining room/kitchen and it is all a boring off-white. The rooms have high cathedral ceilings and both get a lot of natural light through the windows.

I was thinking of painting the perimeter walls all some sort of greige color, maybe BM Edgecomb Gray or Abalone or something similar, and then painting the middle tall wall (which extends down the hallway) a darker gray, perhaps BM Chelsea Gray but I'm not sure if that would be too dark and am very open to all suggestions. I'm really not good with this kind of thing and am looking for all the help I can get!

Pictures are attached below, sorry they are a little dark/blurry but my camera was not cooperating and they were taken at dusk. Keep in mind I just moved in and am in the process of getting a lot of new furniture and decor. The coffee table is being replaced but the couches will probably stay for a while. Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• Faron79
    13 years ago

If ya haven't...post in Home-Dec forum.

Lotsa color savvy-ness there (is that a word?!) ;-)

Faron

• lke2decor
    13 years ago

Worried that such a dark color in the hallway might look "cave like." What about revere pewter and edgecomb gray in the hallway. I see that you kitchen has a warm cherry color cabinet. Have you placed these colors near the cherry cabinets? You may have to consider what color you are going to paint the kitchen.

• jks523
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was worried about it being too dark as well for the hallway. I was also thinking maybe abalone on the walls and silver fox down the hall?

I love white cabinets and was thinking about painting them white and replacing the countertops with some kind of dark granite. I also want to eventually get rid of the carpet and put down wood but this all has to come in stages.

• lke2decor
    13 years ago

Like those color choices. If you go on to www.decorpad.com and go to their paint section there is a picture of a living room in abalone. There is also a picture of a hallway in silver fox on google images. It is a nice airy look. Are you going for a neutral look (black/white/gray) with possible accents?

• jks523
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes I wanted to keep it pretty neutral. I was planning on going neutral with red accents in the decor and wall art, etc. I have a fairly dark wood dining table, that is almost black being delivered soon

• lke2decor
    13 years ago

How ironic. I have a white couch with black end tables, coffee table. I started to accent with red. Look at my picutres on the gallery section "follow up to krisp khaki, shaker beige, carrington beige." (haven't had any replies yet).
    We just moved in too. I have to learn how to download pictures better.
    Check out Ethan Allen Loft Style on their website---they use alot of black and white. Tour their store. They use BM Dove White on their walls with this collection. I personally think I would need a little more color on my walls. We have all white now. Moldings just don't pop.

• brookelizabeth
    13 years ago

Hi. I just moved into an all white house with light and tall ceilings as well.
    I painted the family room Ben Revere Pewter and the kitchen Ben Abalone. The Abalone was a pale gray, flat, cold color. Nothing glowing or seashell pearl about it! I painted it over with Revere Pewter, much better. Now I am wondering if the family room should be darker than Revere because Revere is pretty light.

I don't think I can put Revere in the back hall that has no light however. It went too muddy there.

Edgecomb seems to have a pink undertone. If you really want gray how about Stonington Gray? Revere Pewter is gray but def has beige in it. I don't see any undertones in it.