Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new_bee_gw

What primer for bathroom/what paint

new.bee
11 years ago

I'm painting a small windowless bathroom that only has the vents typical of highrises. Some cheap semigloss paint was used. I removed some bubbling paint near the shower, spackled, and primed with Glidden Gripper. Also, washed off walls and ceilings with a degreaser.

Do I have to prime the whole bathroom or is it enough where I spackled?

Can I use Glidden Gripper or Sherwin Williams Adhesion to prime? These primers seems thick and don't go on very smoothly.

Do I then use BM Aura bath or SW Duration in a semi-gloss or satin? I've heard not so good things about SW Emerald.

Comments (6)

• new.bee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'll do that. What's wrong with my degreaser? The bathroom is small, so no problem going over it with Dirtex.
    So, the Glidden primer is fine with the BM or SW paint?

• Faron79
    11 years ago

No prob with the info.!

I probably got too pic-heavy though...?!

You don't have grease on the wall I'm assuming. The main reason however, is that you have to rinse cleaners like that VERY well...multiple times.

With the mentioned POWDERED cleaners, these rarely need rinsing. I'm erring on the side of caution here by suggesting the re-wash!

ANY high-quality LATEX paint is fine over that primer.

Faron

• Michael
    11 years ago

My favorite bathroom paint is Perma White by Zinsser. Don't let the white in the name fool you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perma White

• new.bee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nope, no grease but there was an incredible amount of hair and sticky stuff, probably shampoo, on the ceiling.

• HouseOfFive
    11 years ago

Faron79 -- That looks just like our bathroom and we painted earlier this year.

The paint we used and have found to hold up great in our small, windowless bath is Benjamin Moore Kitchen and Bath. We did prime the whole bathroom first. The paint we used before that (I think it was Behr?) lasted a few years before pealing and cracking due to lack of extra prep work (like priming).

The guy at the paint store said the first month is the most important for running that fan and helping the paint cure. We are fortunate to have another bathroom, so we actually didn't use the freshly painted one for a couple of weeks.