Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caseykees

Outdoor Shed Primer

caseykees
11 years ago

I am having a outdoor shed installed on Monday. I would like to pick up some primer. The shed is from Home Depot/Sheds USA with Smart Siding, which says it is pre-primed, engineered wood siding.

3 Questions!

1. Since it is "pre-primed", do I need to apply primer?

2. If so, do I need to lightly sand it first?

3. What primer would be the best to use?

Thanks!

Kathy

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

1)yes
    2) yes
    3)Bullseye 123

• caseykees
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Christopher! One other question though. I live in western NY. It is getting rather chilly here. I am really hoping that I can get a coat of primer on it on Monday right after they install. It is so far expected to be around 57-58 degrees the last I checked. Is that going to be too cold? I know I can't wait much longer as time is surely running out for me weather wise. But I would at least like to get a coat of primer on it before winter.
    Kathy

• caseykees
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL!! I see your point! Then reprime and paint in the spring?? I really wanted to paint this the right way, but the installation appointment took forever. We purchased the shed at the end of august. I just don't know what the weather is going to give me in October.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

No, don't reprime in the spring. Just a second coat of paint.

• caseykees
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, I really don't want to use Behr paint. I just don't like it. Can I use BM ben Premium Exterior or even Aura Exterior which states it is self priming in most cases?

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Well, now you sound like Christophern! He hates Behr. Yes, you can use BenMoore paint.

• paintguy22
    11 years ago

It really won't be the end of the world if you are not able to re-prime, especially if you are going to use Aura. 57-58 degrees is really perfect painting weather because the paint will not dry fast like it does when it is warmer. Just be sure that you finish the painting early enough in the day if the temps are going to be dropping to freezing at night.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

As paint guy said, perfect painting weather and if using Aura, you are good to go, although, if it was me, I would still prime it first.You can paint till it gets to 50 and as stated, start around 10 AM to give it time to dry properly

fortunatly, I had no coffee in my mouth!

• caseykees
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, thanks everyone! doesn't look like I have to worry about freezing temps just yet. just 50's, rain and humidity. I found out yesterday they are not coming until between 12-4 on Monday, so I won't be able to paint on MOnday most likely. It is dark here now by 7:00. I guess it just depends on how long it takes them. But hopefully I can at least get my caulking done, then hope the weekend looks decent as i work during the day. It is a small shed only 8x8, I don't think it will take very long for me to paint it.

Regarding the Behr paint, I painted my interior rooms with it. I am not a good painter, but I have since found that if I use better paint, it looks better even with my inadequicies as a painter! LOL
    Kathy