Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help choosing primer for kitchen cabinets

Posted by jenes (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 9, 10 at 5:35

I started off using Zinsser BIN for a primer on my kitchen cabinets (after cleaning and sanding), but it dries within seconds, which makes it hard for me to apply evenly. I had used it successfully painting paneling, but with the cabinets, the slightest uneveness shows through. I've gotten better with some practice, but I think I'd rather try to find a primer that's easier to work with.

I see that Zinsser 1-2-3 is recommended for cabinets, but is there any concern with using a water-based primer on the cabinets? I don't know exactly what's on them now. I would call it generically "varnish", since it's not paint, but I don't use that word in any technical sense.

I also see people using BM Fresh Start, but there are all different kinds. Assuming water-based is okay, I would guess that Acrylic Superior Primer (046) would be best?

My cabinets are dark brown, so in addition to getting a good bond, something that's good for hiding would be a plus.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help choosing primer for kitchen cabinets

I also see people using BM Fresh Start, but there are all different kinds. Assuming water-based is okay, I would guess that Acrylic Superior Primer (046) would be best?

You got it!

o

Thanks! I wish the guy at the paint store had mentioned that there were different kinds when I asked about it, but at least I haven't opened it so I can exchange it.

o

When I was at BM the guy there recommended Fresh Start Alkyd for my cabinets..
There's also a new one from Zinsser called Smart Prime which is water based..
Any one tried it yet ???

jenes I know BM store sells this also .If you get a chance ask the paint guy what he thinks of Smart Prime...

Thx

Here is a link that might be useful: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb053/is_10_14/ai_n39357129/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here