Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindiw2

painting with joint compound

cindiw2
12 years ago

I just read about a technique that sounds like it might work, but I'd like opinions about this. Claims you can mix joint compound with paint and apply it with spatula to wall. Then it says you can use another color with joint compound on top of that. But my main concern is about the joint compound first time around, mixing it with paint and applying it with spatula. Do you think this would work to give a faux finish? I wonder what kind of paint I could use with joint compound? I know it would take longer than simply brushing or rolling it on, but you never know...thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

Do you think this would work to give a faux finish?

It will certainly give you one heck of a mess, faux finish?, that I guess it would.I do not think mixing paint with JC is a good idea, applying such with a spatula, certainly not a good idea. Think about what you are going to do and how to repair it once done.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Your goal is to give a faux plaster finish, I take it. It would be easy enough to try. Get a piece of drywall at a hardware store and try it.

Any kind of water-based wall paint should work.

Personally, I would not want to buy a house where this had been done because getting the walls back to flat would be a lot of work, akin to removing popcorn texture from a ceiling.

• cindiw2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What you say makes sense. So since the walls have just been painted, many defects show through, the patchwork is not good and stands out, what is my next step?

• kacy27
    12 years ago

The technique you are talking about works, but I agree with graywings about it semi-permanently changing the surface of the wall. It's pretty expensive to refloat a wall to flat. If you want some special finish, try troweling on high quality (thick) paint (instead of the tinted mud). Not sure what you want the overall effect to be is, but it does work. And can be really spectacular if done right. (and painted over if done poorly.)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

What you say makes sense. So since the walls have just been painted, many defects show through, the patchwork is not good and stands out, what is my next step?

Fix it properly or hire someone to do it. It is not that hard to do

• cindiw2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Both painters told me that the walls had many holes in it, they are old, and that sometimes they simply cannot be restored to a uniform flat surface. Both painters are experienced. I just wonder what to do now, where I am going to find a good painter. If I could figure how to skim coat and it's not that difficult, I might do that. Or maybe I could really just get drywall and have somebody replace the old drywall.

• kacy27
    12 years ago

cindi, if you do a test board, try this as well: trowel on regular untinted sheet rock mud/joint compound. (maybe water it down a little). Don't worry too much about skipping around. Let it dry. Do it again concentrating on creating a second depth and reaching other places-exposed bare wall in places is fine, that will be another depth layer. Kind of rugged but pretty. Paint it, then GLAZE it allowing the tinted glaze to seep into the cracks and crevices. Use a light hand or a heavy hand on the glaze. I like subtle personally.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

A painter may not be able to get your walls back to a uniform flat surface, but they should be able to get them back to something that you can happily live with. I live in an old house and the walls are far from perfect. Don't try to learn to skim coat. Hire one of those painters and tell them to do what they can to improve the walls.