Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quickest way to finish?

Posted by cindiw2 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 2:50

The paint job is not good in guest room. It has just been painted. There are patches that are not uniform with the rest of the wall, and there are gouges in the wall that are obvious even though freshly painted over. How difficult would it be for me to give it a knockdown texture over this paint job to cover up the flaws and call it a day, or a get to the finish?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quickest way to finish?

Just skin coat the gouges, spot prime and apply another coat of paint. Way easier than knockdown.

o

I'll try that first. Just in case, though, this does not work well to hide the flaws and I have to go with knockdown, is that the next easiest way to solve the problem? Or would new drywall possibly do the job?

o

Neither. Your wall problems are highly visible but easily fixable.

o

Well, I am hiring a new person to repair the job, and that's what she said she would do. (sand, prime, and paint) I hope that works.

o

Just skin coat the gouges,

That should be skiM not n

o

Do I need to come over there and fix that wall!!?? :)

o

Interestingly enough, a new person came over and "did over" what the other painter did. And I have almost the same result. Not good. I am left wondering why the problem exists. The problem is the same protrusions appear (that would be the holes that were originally sanded and filled in), and a difference in glaze appears from the rest of the wall in those spots. Why, I don't know. She sanded down the original offenders, applied spackling to the spots, sanded, and painted, but it appears to be similar to the first job. Therefore, I am wondering just how difficult it would be to skiM coat the entire wall to make it even. If I could understand what went wrong (aside from now TWO bad painters), I would be happier. I am learning that sometimes you simply cannot make good a bad wall by patching it up and painting over it. SOMETIMES you have to either put in new drywall, or skim coat it. So since skim coat may be less work than putting in new drywall in those place (I'm not sure), I'm thinking to go that way.

o

Can you take a picture of that wall? I would like to see it from a direct view and a side view.

o

I will try to take a picture, because of the light and the camera it does not take a true picture, but I will try. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here