Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fire engine red trim!

Posted by scarlett2001 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 2:21

My husband has an old house we have been updating for sale. He chose an exterior paint that is a very pale, creamy yellow, with white trim...and then wanted a deep cranberry for the trim accents and door. Problem is, the cranberry, after 6 coats, is still fire engine red. The house looks like McDonalds and I am just waiting for somebody to pull into the driveway and order a Big Mac w/fries.

What would happen if I added just a dab of green to the red paint? Is there any way I can darken it or should we just buy more paint? This is Sherwyn Williams, so it is good paint and the color swatch was cranberry but the actual paint is SO RED. And I am so tired of painting trim accents - 6 times, yikes!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fire engine red trim!

I don't know whether you can or not, but why don't you take the paint back to SW and ask them to retint it?

Sadly, we all learn the hard way that you have to do test samples before proceeding.

o

Buy black and be done with it....6 times is enough already. It probably is because they didn't mix the color with the right base to start out with.

o

Selecting a different color is the best solution. Adding tints to a partially used paint to try to arrive at some other color is a bad idea.

o

Welcome to the arena of REDS. They can be a real problem, although 6 coats seems quite excessive. I hope the people that tinted it for you at least warned you a little?
Reds do not hide. They are subject to the color over which they are being placed, as well as other issues.
Try picking/finding one that is ready-mixed and hopefully tinted with better pigments, not the colorants your paint store used.
You could also try another brand/quality of paint. You may be starting the project with a deep or neutral base that will not stand up to reds.
And finally, it has to be tinted correctly. Take it back to the store and check it out.
Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here