Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wi_sailorgirl

How's my painting plan, plus a few questions

wi-sailorgirl
13 years ago

There is hope that our large renovation may actually get to the painting stage at some point. Unfortunately, like many projects, we're projecting we're going to end up over budget and we're cutting things where we can.

I know the professional painters here are going to cringe, but one of the places we have to cut is in the painting. We intend to have pros paint the living room with its cathedral ceiling and tall walls (it's a scaffolding thing) and the relatively high ceilings in the bedroom. I plan to do the rest (as it turns out I have a week-long furlough coming up at work so I'm hoping that will coincide with the painting schedule).

The drywall guys are going to spray prime the walls so in theory the priming should be taken care of. My understanding is that the ceiling should be done first, then trim, then the walls. Is this right?

The bedroom ceilings will be tongue in groove boards (my GC calls it car siding). We will also have random width wood paneling in the hallway (matches existing material in the house). What sheen of paint would you recommend for these surfaces? I did the wood ceiling in the kitchen in a flat sheen and I'm not very happy with it.

For the trim, I intend to use either BM Fresh Start primer or Zinsser 123 based on what I've read here, then follow up with BM Aura (which just happens to be what I feel most comfortable with, other than FPE, which isn't really economically feasible for this project) in a satin sheen. Does that sounds OK?

Is there anything I'm missing here? Would you recommend that I have the pros also do the interior doors? I have to say I'm a little intimidated by six-panel doors.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.