Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kabookie_gw

Division of Paint on Weird Split Level

kabookie
12 years ago

I have a split level that I haven't seen before on the internet so it is hard to get ideas. I am painting it now and suddenly got cold feet. I have painted it Martha Stewart's Spanish Moss 235 and so far painted around the windows, soffitt and gutters MS Sisal 207. It is all done except on the pop out part of the split. It has composite shakes there. I wanted them basically for texture, not to stain. I had planned on painting it the Spanish Moss color also, but suddenly realized how BORING it will be. I don't think I can put shudders on top of the shakes to kick it up a little. can you help? I am deep into it for much of a change.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

Don't know about the rest but you do NOT want shutters

• kabookie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Because?

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

I think I would forego shutters too & paint the pop out 2 shades deeper than the Spanish Moss. That would give it depth & interest.

~Jeana

• kabookie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Jeana! If I take a bucket of my Spanish Moss color back to Sherwin Williams and ask for it to be made two shades darker, will they laugh? I mean can they just tweak it?

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

They won't laugh at all!!! They do this all the time.

~Jeana

• graywings123
    12 years ago

You don't want shutters because they are not appropriate to the house style. They won't improve the look of the house.

Is that the front of your house? Where is the front door?

I like the idea of making the upper level darker. I'm not familiar with MS paints - does it come in strips with the colors getting darker? If not, the term two shades darker won't tell the paint mixing person what color to make it. You may need to find a darker color in the same range and show that to the paint mixing person.

• kabookie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think that is one reason that my house looks so plain, there is no door on the front of the house. I think I have the only split level with a door on the side and one in the back. I went to Home Depot and asked them to make the Spanish Moss two shades darker. You could hardly see the difference so they went what they said was 50 percent darker. It isn't enough difference for someone driving by to even notice. No the MS paint doesn't come in the strips. I brought home several paint cards and I'm not sure they go with the Spanish Moss. They are a darker green but may not actually complement it.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Selecting colors for outside is tricky. Subtle color changes that you notice inside are not visible outside, which is why even at 50 percent darker, you didn't see enough of a difference. You may need to go substantially darker to get the effect you want.

Go to a Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams store with your MS paint card and tell them what you are trying to do and someone there with a good eye for color can probably help you. (But please, for their sake, buy the paint from them!)

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

graywings is right, & it's hard to tell from manufacturer to manufacturer. I DO prefer SW or BM & they are truly experts.

~Jeana