Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
satin question - Kelly Moore vs Benjamin Moore

Posted by susanwrites (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 13, 10 at 22:51

I usually hang out over on the decorating board but we're in the midst of having all the interiors painted and I've hit a stumbling block.

We're down to the main living area which is an open plan, living, dining, entry, kitchen and nook. The previous owners left me a list of the paints and colors they had used throughout the house.

They used Kelly Moore satin on all the walls. I've used Benjamin Moore eggshell in the few rooms we've repainted so far and really like it.

The painter is recommending that I don't use eggshell in the kitchen and that I go with satin instead. They tried to convince me to use semi-gloss but there's no way I want that. So I'm thinking satin as a happy medium.

The Kelly Moore satin that's up there now seems fine to me for the kitchen area (which is why I know I don't want semi gloss)

But the paint I'm using is Benjamin Moore and I wonder if both satins will be about the same sheen or not?

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: satin question - Kelly Moore vs Benjamin Moore

There is no universal definition for sheens that all companies use, so it's unlikely the sheen will be the same. The real question is if you need a high sheen for the kitchen anyway. Old school thinking was that kitchens and baths always had to have a high sheen. With the advent of higher performance matte and eggshell finishes from many paint companies, this is no longer the case. I painted my kitchen and bathroom with Aura matte 4 years ago, both still look like the day I painted them in spite of heavy use for both. Never met anyone that wants their walls shiny - no need to go there unless you happen to be the exception to the rule.

o
RE: satin question - Kelly Moore vs Benjamin Moore

Thanks so much, paintguy1! My gut was telling me to stick with the eggshell that is everywhere else in the open space so I am going to go with that.

One unexpected thing that happened with the upstairs rooms is that I specified eggshell, instead of flat, for the ceilings and I was worried about it first but it all looks fine. Now, of course, I'm wondering if I should stick with the eggshell on the ceilings downstairs or switch to flat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here