Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to prime and when it is okay not to prime

Posted by nap101 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 22:28

Tons of questions but this is at the top.

I primed and painted some of my window trim 4 years ago. I'm now getting around to doing a few other doors and windows but I've changed my mind on the shade of white so I want to repaint the previous ones. Do I need to prime again or can I just clean and paint.

What if I just painted it a few months ago and changed my mind about the color?

FYI I'm not changing painting mediums (no oil to latex issue). But I may go do a different brand of paint.

Also, how long does paint and primer last regarding how long it can be stored and used again? is there an expiration date on paint? Does applying old primer affect it's ability in any way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to prime and when it is okay not to prime

No need to prime unless there is a problem or you are drasticly changing colors

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here