Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darren_painter

Painting over new texture

darren_painter
16 years ago

Has anyone ever painted new construction drywall with orange peel texture and have their paint coatings peel off in small sheets.

This was my process....

Used top quality eggshell finish as base coat since the inexpensive PVA drywall primer is nothing more than a inexpensive flat paint. I felt I was using a better paint as primer coat with better acryics than cheaper sister product as PVA primer. I placed two coats on wall. In numerous areas, my coatings is peeling off once surface film is broken.

Checked texture and found if I rubbed withmy two fingers lightly, the texture turned to dust like it was sanded. I then wet my fingers and it quickly turn to a white powerded paste.

In certain areas, it peel the texture down to the drywall itself.

I throughly cleaned an area that had peeled off and used a high quality primer. Waited 4hrs to dry. Placed blue tape over area and primer peeled off.

This is leading me to believe that the texture was mixed wrong or something. I firmly believe in the system used but looking for addition direction with experienced examples.

thanks

Comments (2)

• steve-va
    16 years ago

I have thought about this post a few times. Orange peel texture is not common around here but I have seen plenty of it in places like Minnesota. Your situation really sounds bizarre.

• Faron79
    16 years ago

Hello "orange-peel" fans!!!
    >>> Sorry Darren-painter...

* The 1st mistake was using a "paint" where it shouldn't be...right on chalky-texture & bare drywall paper!!
    * PVA (poly-vinyl-acetate) primer should've been used. IDEALLY b4 AND after spraying texture. Not many painter do, but it's the "ideal" way.
    * At a minimum, priming HAS to be done after texture is dry.
    * Primers & paint are 2 different things. A decent primer will seal-off the VERY POROUS drywall paper & the sprayed texture. Paints will just largely soak-in...and unevenly at that!

>>> Your texture did what it would naturally do...crumble & get pasty when wet! It's just drywall-mud & water sprayed on wall.
    * When this mix dries, it's basically "chalk-lumps"! What happens when you sand drywall joints?? Same thing...lots of dust!
    * Your "paint film" will peel off these texture-lumps VERY easily, since they're BARELY adhered to the drywall paper. A paint film applied to this will start to form a skin, and easily peel off the chalky texture.
    * If wall had been PRIMED b4 texturing, it has a better "grip" to the primer than to bare drywall paper.

>>> Your primer was peeled off by the tape because it takes time to form a tough-enough bond to wall. Primers are made to seal, not be tested by tape!!

* You need to slit the primer/paint film with a knife at the tape-edge when done painting.
    * The film that bridges onto the TAPE, is stronger than the bond to the primed wall...FOR MANY HOURS after paintings' done!!
    * This "bond-forming" takes DAYS. Painted walls aren't considered CURED/hardened-off for a MONTH.
    * I purposely wait till next day to slice at the tape-edge! That way it's a nice dry cut.

>>> To summarize, your texture-situation is completely normal.
    >>> Up here, I grew up seeing "orange-peel" everywhere. I still think it's odd seeing SMOOTH walls! I don't care for smooth...too annoying seeing little flaws/waves.
    >>> You'll also have to get used to using REAL primer, and TWO topcoats of paint. THAT'S what produces the best finishes.

Have a good one!
    Faron