Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oil based paint with infant in house

Posted by bchowda (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 21:33

Hello,

Today I used Kils Odorless Oil Based Primer on an enclosed porch in my home. I was taking precautions by opening windows and installing an out-facing box fan so I thought that I was being fairly safe. The front door to the house leads to this enclosed porch which I had shut, but after about an hour my wife complained about feeling nauseous and sleepy so I immediately cleaned everything up and stopped painting. After a while, I also felt dizzy and lost my appetite (I figured this would be the case for me since I was working directly with the material.)

However, it concerns me that my wife felt the effects of the paint from within the house. It REALLY concerns me that my wife was with our 4-month old baby at the time.

I immediately took the baby outside for a walk then opened up the entire house and turned on all the fans to get good ventilation. Then, my baby and I went next door and hung outside for the rest of the day. Tonight, she is sleeping at grandma's house.

During the day, she was acting completely fine with a great appetite and was very alert and seemed to have a great day. So, I am really not worried about the exposure that she might have already experienced for that hour this morning. However, I am wondering when you think it might be safe for her to come back home.

Remember, the paint is in an enclosed porch with open windows and a fan. But I know that toxic fumes can creep anywhere and I'm afraid that they are in the house and the baby shouldn't come back for a few days. I called poison control hotline and they said to bring her back once it is dry. But I am afraid it will still give off toxic fumes after it is dry as well. I should have never used it in the first place!

Thank you very much for your response!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oil based paint with infant in house

If you do not trust the people from the PCH, why would you trust any response here? You all will be and are just fine. Ditch the Kilz( probably no reason to use it in the first place)and get a quality acrylic primer and advise from a real paint store and not HD and of Lowes.ANY paint you apply is going to be somewhat toxic, so is carpet, wallpaper,the air,etc.

o

Unless you are abnormally sensitive to the chemical, there should be no ill effects if you are using the product as directed. The effects of any fumes have been tested at much higher levels than you would be exposed to.

It looks to me that that the child is the only individual that is not having a psychosomatic response to paint fumes.

o

Turn the radio off. Put the newspaper down and PAINT. You thinking that those affects were from the paint is all bunk. Stop being so paranoid. People have been living with paint fumes of all kinds for many years. Use common sense [which you appear to have already used, fans etc.] and PAINT.

o

Thank you for the sensible/grounded responses everyone. Paranoid internet searches must be the number one cause of anxiety - gardenweb to the rescue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here