Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bchowda

Oil based paint with infant in house

bchowda
11 years ago

Hello,

Today I used Kils Odorless Oil Based Primer on an enclosed porch in my home. I was taking precautions by opening windows and installing an out-facing box fan so I thought that I was being fairly safe. The front door to the house leads to this enclosed porch which I had shut, but after about an hour my wife complained about feeling nauseous and sleepy so I immediately cleaned everything up and stopped painting. After a while, I also felt dizzy and lost my appetite (I figured this would be the case for me since I was working directly with the material.)

However, it concerns me that my wife felt the effects of the paint from within the house. It REALLY concerns me that my wife was with our 4-month old baby at the time.

I immediately took the baby outside for a walk then opened up the entire house and turned on all the fans to get good ventilation. Then, my baby and I went next door and hung outside for the rest of the day. Tonight, she is sleeping at grandma's house.

During the day, she was acting completely fine with a great appetite and was very alert and seemed to have a great day. So, I am really not worried about the exposure that she might have already experienced for that hour this morning. However, I am wondering when you think it might be safe for her to come back home.

Remember, the paint is in an enclosed porch with open windows and a fan. But I know that toxic fumes can creep anywhere and I'm afraid that they are in the house and the baby shouldn't come back for a few days. I called poison control hotline and they said to bring her back once it is dry. But I am afraid it will still give off toxic fumes after it is dry as well. I should have never used it in the first place!

Thank you very much for your response!

Comments (4)