Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Metallic wall paint advice please

Posted by dianalo (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 20:50

Hi,
I want to stencil a large format damask pattern on our bedroom walls (2 of them actually) and have the other 2 walls in the background color alone. I want the background to be a very light metallic silver. I will stencil the pattern in a matte very dark purple. Do you have any suggestions as to what to use for the metallic look? Brand recommendations or warnings?
I was at Sherwin Williams today and saw they have a faux finish "pearl" paint that is meant to be painted over a base color and can be tinted silver. The pearl/metallic one was $75 a gallon but there will be a sale over the weekend (starting tomorrow) for 40% off. I have seen mixed reviews on GW about SW paints. I do not know the price and quality difference between that one and ones elsewhere.
Please let me know what you think and any advice will be appreciated greatly ;)
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Metallic wall paint advice please

Ralph Lauren has a metallic paint in various sheds of gold and silver.

For your purposes, even a pale non-metallic grey might work against the dark purple.

o

Modern Masters

o

Full walls of metallic can be tricky. BM makes a nice metallic paint as does Modern Masters (both are pricey). I have used RL, but takes some getting used to. I have also used SW. Between RL and SW, I think RL is an easier paint to apply, but either way, be prepared to do multiple coats.

Have you thought about doing the stencil in the metallic instead?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here