Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_flynn

Gardz -- Need Pro Advice

Pines Everywhere
9 years ago

Hi Professionals -- About a year ago you all helped me with a room that required wallpaper removal (on bare drywall) and wall prep for painting. You professionals recommended GARDZ which I could not find at the time. I was so concerned that I over-the-top scrubbed, scraped, steamed and putty-knifed away all the wallpaper grime.

Now, I have the same situation again but have GARDZ on hand. I have a couple of questions about this product:

#1: In addition to sealing, will it cover thickly and even-out patches of wallpaper residue (the very thin yellowish patches) ?

#2: Do you still prime on top of GARDZ before painting color?

Thanks for any help.

Comments (9)

• paintguy22
    9 years ago

Don't expect Gardz to even out or cover anything. It's a really loose bodied product, almost like the consistency of water. It's also a primer but it's clear. You can paint directly over it.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    9 years ago

what paintguy said. Gardz is a fine product but it is NOT a stain blocker and you still have to remove as much of the residual paste as possible, but it is still a primer so you can paint over it

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much you two -- really appreciate it. I noticed the can said "clear" but I am shocked about the consistency.

I will stare at it some more and determine my next move. LOL.

What a mess.

• sswinehart
    9 years ago

Gardz is a product that acts somewhat like a plastic version of shellac. It is milky-white in the can, dries clear, is the consistency of water and will penetrate to some extent. While you can paint over it, I prefer to use a latex primer over the Gardz as it gives the paint color coat an even base color to cover.

As an example, I recently did a bathroom that was reconstructed with Purple wallboard. The drywall compound was white and the contrast and surface absorption differences between the drywall face material and the compound would have been noticeable if I did not put Gardz on the walls first; and then a white latex primer to give the final color coat an even, one-color surface to cover.

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the additional tips Buckhorn. I decided to sand the walls to remove any additional wallpaper residue (as a safe measure). I will be using the GARDZ tomorrow and see how things look. It is a pretty "bright" room so I am a little concerned about the blotches on the drywall but I am definitely doing two coats of color.

I "may" doing a white primer for kicks. We'll see. :)

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So maybe I am an idiot ... or more of a rookie than I thought ... but I absolutely could not work with GARDZ. It was too watery and it was like painting blind. I can't use a clear product I guess.

I aborted after one corner and dumped it. I went back to my old reliable MasterChem product KILZ MAX but not can't find a second gallon of that anywhere!! I will prevail ... somehow!!!

Thanks all for advice but I could NOT manage it. :(

This post was edited by PinesEverywhere on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 10:36

• paintguy22
    9 years ago

Sometimes when I am applying Gardz, I find myself wondering how the heck DIY'ers can manage applying the stuff. I use a small nap roller cover (3/8" which is small for me) but I have used the 1/4" and it works well too, but it does take a light touch with the roller in order to not put it on too heavily and you do need to spread out the heavy areas really well or else it can drip and sag. My final pass with the roller is done with a dry roller. It's certainly not as easy as applying a normal primer or paint.

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was using a finish roller and the consistency was freaking me out but that was sorta okay -- not seeing my wet line was the biggest problem.

I am also refinishing cabinet doors and have been coating them with clear polyacrylic and it is the same deal (hard to see the wet line). But, those doors are off lying flat and I can bend down and look at them sideways in bright light to coat. The walls -- I couldn't do that to apply Clear Gardz.

I just lost patience I guess. Doing too much at once and the painting is usually the easiest for me. :) Using Kilz Premium now and all is good.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    9 years ago

Using Kilz Premium

which will do nothing to lock down residual paste