Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting the stairs - shoe marks & when do I remove tape??

Posted by sheesharee (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 2, 10 at 19:25

I finally got to the "fun part" of painting the stair railings and treads. The prep, primer, and risers (painted white) are done.

I did the first coat of the brown (SW porch and floor enamel) last night. I was going to do the 2nd coat tonight but when I went to walk down I left sneaker prints on the top two treads, eek. Soo..... what do I do? I could try socks. I was going to try waiting until tomorrow to do the 2nd coat. The house temp. is set at 74 deg.

Either way, my stairs are royally taped up in two different types of frog tape. After the 2nd coat when do I take it off? I didn't think you were to wait until it dried completely. This is my first time trying the frog tape and I'm hoping it works like it's suppose to.

I'm hoping the 2nd coat of paint covers the shoe prints. It didn't dent the paint but you can see smudges.

The can says,
Recoat: 4 hours. I waited 24.
Light foot traffic: 24 hours
Tables, chairs, and heavy foot traffic: 7 days.
I was planning on waiting at least a month until we walked on it once all finished.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting the stairs - shoe marks & when do I remove tape??

This is pretty normal for paint that is not completely cured. I think on dark colors though, sneaker prints may always show up but you should be able to clean them off after full cure. Also remember that dark colors take longer to dry so that can be a contributing factor. The best time to pull tape is about 1/2 hour after painting is complete.

o

"The best time to pull tape is about 1/2 hour after painting is complete."
. . . Maybe I should have painted every other step? I'm worried about the paint pulling off with the tape because I'm not going to be able to walk on them in a 1/2 hour. Good to know for the future though.

When should I attempt the second coat?

How long does it take paint to fully cure? A month?

o

Pulling tape half hour after painting is ideal, but it's not a big deal if you can't pull it until later either. You probably want to score the tape with a razor knife before pulling so that there is a clean break and you don't rip off any paint. You should read the can of paint which will say when you can recoat, though most acrylic paints are around 4 hours in good drying conditions. Yes, the paint can take up to a month to cure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here