Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Split Level Needs Curb Appeal

Posted by belle123 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 18:29

We just purchased this tri-level home. It has a fabulous floor plan and is in a great location, but lacks curb appeal. The home is currently painted grey with white trim, has brick that is orange and an older cedar shake roof. I would like to alter the home to create curb appeal, but lack the budget to make architectural changes (i.e. roof, driveway). My husband is handy though and could make minor changes (columns, porch railing, shutters, window boxes, etc).

My husband and I prefer a more traditional appearance but with cottage charm. Should we keep the brick natural or paint the entire home one color? Would nicer columns and porch railings help draw attention to the front door? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Photos in Flickr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Split Level Needs Curb Appeal

A house is a reflection of those that call it home so it is no wonder that most people want their home to look great. Painting your home in the prefect combination of colors will go a long way to making it a place you can be proud to call your own.

o
RE: Split Level Needs Curb Appeal

Speaking as a landscaper ... remove the dying hedge between the driveway and the house. The shrubs to the left of the door look OK.

The white, tan and brick color scheme is anemic. For fastest improvement, paint the shutters, any other trim, porch columns and the garage door a rust you select from the bricks. That will make the garage door less prominent and tie the parts together.

Railings would make the porch area more emphatic, but they also restrict traffic to a skinny strip. I would make a larger entry area/path (of brick laid on sand?) that is outside that skinny concrete strip. Make it big enough to sit on, put plants on, and handle a group of carolers at Christmas.

Post this in the Design section of the garden forum and you will get some advice on improving the landscaping. For starters, like a house starts decorating at the entry hall, landscapes start at the curb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here