Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting Homes with Open Floor Plans

Posted by judi82 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 13, 10 at 18:24

I am remodeling my kitchen and need to select a color that will complement the white kitchen cabinets that will be installed. The problem I'm having is that my kitchen wall connects with the dining room wall. The color that looks good with the new kitchen cabinets does not coordinate well with the dining room furnishings and drapes. Nor does it transition well from the dining room to the color that the living room walls are painted in. Is there a way to paint each space a different color? If so, how does one transition from one color to the next on the wall shared by both the kitchen and dining room? Photos of such applications would be appreciated.

I have also posted this message on the Home Decorating Forum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting Homes with Open Floor Plans

The best way to handle this is to treat it like one large room - if the cabinets were a color that blended with the DR stuff you would be having an easier time of it.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/45843/how_to_pick_perfect_paint_colors.html is one way to deal with the problem. Start with the Dining Room drapes and find a bunch of colors that look acceptable with the drapes.
And I mean check every paint chip you can get your hands on to see what looks OK.

After the kitchen cabinets are installed - you want cabinets and countertops in there - take the chips that look OK with the DR into the kitchen and start weeding out the ones that are not OK with the kitchen.

Then you should have some paint colors that will look OK both areas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here