Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lillypad91

Walmart Paint?

lillypad91
11 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so please bare with me. :)

I am looking to spruce up my apartment with a new paint job (I have the landlord's okay to do so, don't worry!), but I am completely clueless when it comes to paint. I saw the Walmart by my house has paint there, and was looking at the colors and saw some I liked in the Glidden line, and it looks like it will fit my budget. Does anyone have any experience with Walmart's paint department or Glidden paint? I'm not TOO concerned about quality, but of course, any info would be helpful! Or does anyone have any other recommendations for paint or paint stores?

Thanks for any and all help! I really appreciate it!! :)

Comments (8)

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

Ugh. Paint at Walmart? I toured a factory that made their product a few years ago. They came right out & told us that the stuff they sweep off the warehouse floor goes in the paint. Really. They weren't joking. They have to do something with it.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Sherwin Williams Super Paint is always a good value - interior and exterior. And if you happen to catch a SW sale, it's even better.

What you have to remember with the lower price point paints, is even tho the price per gallon appears to be cheaper, in the long run it really is not. For reasons like, the square feet per gallon might be less than a more expensive can, or you need twice as much paint and coats to get the same coverage as you would compared to one coat of better quality.

Cheap paint can actually end up costing you more than if you just purchased better tier, grade to begin with.

Have to choose wisely.

If you like the Glidden colors, you can get them at the Home Depot. Behr Premium Plus - the newest line, can be a good Home Store brand. Take the Walmart paint swatches with you to Home Depot. Again, I would personally choose a real paint store over a home store.

With that said. Everyone deserves to live colorfully. And if a home store can help make that happen, then that's all that matters.

• lillypad91
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both so much for the input! Obviously, the task to paint my apartment is one I take seriously, so I definitely appreciate the help.

Of course, if anyone has anything else to add about their experiences with Walmart, Glidden paint, or any other brands or stores you recommend, I'd be happy to hear! :)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

Box store paints,cheap ( like NOT good), real paint store paint, good( like better than box store paint)

• curlysue
    11 years ago

I just painted a bedroom in my house a few weeks ago and I used Glidden. That was my first experience with Glidden, and I didn't like it. I had to use 2 coats, so I had to buy more than 1 gallon of paint so it ended up costing as much as a good paint would have say for instance Sherwin Williams or Kilz. I personally like Kilz and have always had one coat coverage---Walmart used to carry Kilz but I guess they replaced it with Glidden. Don't ever buy the Walmart brand, unless you want to use 3 coats.

• prairiemom61
    11 years ago

Sherwin Williams, so worth it, and they are having a big sale this weekend,Sept 21-24, 40% off paints and stains. They will help you with everything you need for your project. Don't waste your time with Walmart paint.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

I have used both, some of the more expensive paints as well as Walmart brand. I've seen very little difference in them as far as coverage as well as durability. 2 Coats and it looks great.

Even when using more expensive paints, I found that 2 coats were necessary to get good coverage, but then I am not a pro painter.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

I have used Glidden, and had no problems getting good coverage, but I'm not trying to make one gallon cover more than 400 square feet.

I have used Behr "flat enamel" ... it's "stickier" than most paint, and you have to be very careful not to go back over a spot or it will stick to the roller and pull off. It's great when it's dried, though, extremely scrubbable.

Used Benjamin Moore and was not impressed. It's OK, but I can get the same results and colors with less expensive paints.

Sherwin Williams - same as BM ...

Frazee gives me a migraine! I can't use it because something in the paint causes a headache. (I can work with all kinds of nasties, but not that brand). Once dried, it's OK.