Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

?paint on aluminum siding ....?

vieja_gw
9 years ago

We have insulated aluminum siding put on our house back in the ? 1960's (!) which has held up remarkably well but is well overdue for new painting!! It needs to be power washed well first for the oxidized paint but wonder what kind of paint should be used now? A regular satin outdoor paint or is there a paint specifically for use on aluminum siding that should be used? Would like some idea before we get a paint contractor to come out with estimate, etc. Later, we are going to replace the original old steel casement windows with vinyl clad insulated windows.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I used regular acrylic house paint on my aluminum gutters.

• Robin Henson
    9 years ago

Our weekend getaway is an aluminum sided house trailer. We have painted the exterior 3 times in 30 years. Its gets full sun most of the day.

After pressure washing, use a good quality exterior paint, our preference is semi gloss as it turns the rain water better and doesn't fade as fast as flat or satin. Don't even waste your time using flat. We have never applied primer prior to painting but you should anticipate doing 2 good coats of paint.

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the good advise! After the power washing, I bet most of that OLD oxidized paint will be all washed away ... maybe just the aluminum surface left! Can't wait to see how it turns out. The professional painter that is doing it said acrylic also.. now must make sure it is exterior paint he is mentioning ....

• madeyna
    9 years ago

We used Rustoleum on our trailer in the 80s. Drove by there recently and its faded but no flaking or peeling.