Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior Paint Issues? Please Help!

Posted by LaurenPS (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 11 at 16:40

Hi, we just had the exterior of our house painted with Benjamin Moore Solid Stain called Arbor Coat. We have a couple of problems with the job and I am looking for advice from an experienced painter or someone who is familiar with exterior work. Upon completion of the job we noticed that when viewing the south side of our house in the late afternoon you could see lap marks where the painter stopped and then restarted. It does not look attractive, and it does not look professional. The front of garage has a similar problem with the paint looking very uneven and this is noticeable when you come up our driveway. We have not paid the painter in full. We talked to him about the front of the garage and he said over time it will blend in. The side was just completed and we haven't talked to him yet. In addition to these issues the painters helper broke a light and crushed the back side of our window air conditioner....haven't said anything yet. What should we do and is there a forum that states what is acceptable for a paint job?? I don't feel like I am being to picky. Oh and the job cost $7000 and did include some repair carpentry. The painter is coming to paint the front door and will want final payment. What to do???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior Paint Issues? Please Help!

First of all, it won't blend it. A lap mark will only fade away as the paint/stain ages and fades, and then it may remain until repainted. You'll always see it.

His resolution is unacceptable. A Pro knows the importance of keeping a wet edge, especially on large exterior surfaces exposed to critical light.

Good luck. Don't pay for labor until it's resolved.

o

What he said.

o

Thank you, he has agreed to repaint the areas with issues, but laid the guilt trip on us because we want to hold back $1200 out of the $7000. We thought that was reasonable and it would get him back in a timely fashion. Are we holding back to much?? We have been burnt before by workmen not returning, but the problem lies in that we know this man well and our kids are friendly....ah!! Rule number one...do not hire someone you know as approaching them about an issue is difficult!! Hiring someone you'll never see again would have made it much easier. I must say that he did a great job with all the carpentry and 90% of the paint job. He is going to return and finish it up right.

o

Are we holding back to much??

No

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here