Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
victoriandream_gw

Exterior Color Scheme for 1892 Victorian

victoriandream
14 years ago

So, we're going forward with our next restoration project for our 1892 Victorian in Wisconsin. Thanks again to all of you who have offered insights to previous conversations. As they say - to make a long story short...we've committed to an authentic exterior restoration of our gem - which means wood siding, wood trim and all the fixings (sounds like a festive thanksgiving dinner). We went back and forth about what materials to use and yes decided to go with wood. We will be recreating features based on original blueprints and photos.

Here's where I need your help...we're looking for feedback on our proposed exterior color scheme. To start, I would invite you to tour the two links below and share your thoughts, knowledge and experience in painting a home like this. At this time, I will explain very little about how we arrived at these colors because I'm interested in first gut reactions. Also, we are open to more exploration of colors so let this be your guide :-)

We plan to use C2 paint and the main colors you will see garam masala, cheetah, diego and spanish tile red.

Can't wait to hear you weigh in on this - here's your opportunity to help us paint our lady.

Thanks!

Exterior - http://s646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/victoriandream/Exterior/

Exterior Color Scheme -

http://s646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/victoriandream/Exterior%20Color%20Scheme/

Here is a link that might be useful: Victoriandream Exterior Color Scheme

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

So I've been thinkin' about this one. I didn't love the palette when I first laid eyes on it, but I couldn't say why.

After thinking about it, here's what I see. The palette looks too craftsman, too bungalow, too muted, too autumnal, too safe for a Victorian and for sure too safe for ambitions of painted lady. The red is fresh and has some punch, but how much red will be used - I'm wondering about that proportion of a single punch color amongst the other three colors which are very tight in range; hue in particular as well as values (lightness and intensity)

From what I can tell, there are four paint colors in the palette. That's tough. Three or five or seven would actually be easier. Four is workable, but that balance and proportion thing keeps coming up for me.

It's just not very exciting to be honest and finely crafted balance and color distribution isn't leaping out at me from the pix posted.

• ummm
    14 years ago

your color scheme reminds me a little of this house i drive by every day and i love their colors - though I think like funcolors said it seems little safe for your beautiful house?

(the red building in the back is the detached garage).

http://cdn.resize.flexmls.com/sem/640x480/true/20090915203008515275000000-o.jpg

http://cdn.resize.flexmls.com/sem/640x480/true/20090915212522838476000000-o.jpg

• victoriandream
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ummm, thanks for the photos of the house. And I agree with both of you that the colors are a little safe and lacking some punch. That's why I posted this one. We need to decide and though I do love how the colors look together, it leaves me wondering how it might be livened up. Help :-)
    Funcolors and anyone else out there...do you have some ideas how can create an historic, welcoming, vibrant feel?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

If you're liking the golds and olive, then switch out the candy apple red for purple. ICI has one called Aberdeen Place. Or a custom mix a purple that's more browned.

Pecan Place is a Vic in TN. Christi did a fabulous job with her exterior color palette. I believe it is still a work in progress. I don't think the main pic on the blog is her finished palette -- her tastes might be in line with yours. Check out the Pecan Place blog and I think tales of her exterior palette is somewhere in there. Here's a pic of her new palette from their flickr album.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pecan Place

• victoriandream
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I connected with Christie Mitchell from Pecan Place. We have had some insightful and wonderful sharing. She has been extremely gracious and completed some renditions for us. Check out the link and share the impressions that the different options give you. Also, we are most interested in determining the body colors, trim and sash. The porch details will get figured out after that. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Exterior Renditions

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

This one has good balance. The brighter, yellow band at the middle and the lower tier where entrances are located sets the mood for the whole house -- having a *happy* color in that area keeps the whole look from looking/feeling heavy. Maybe adds more pops of the aubergine in the gingerbread and details.