Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what primer/paint for cabinets? Need to decide soon

Posted by smlee (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 17, 10 at 16:11

I'm thinking of updating my kitchen by painting my kitchen cabinets. The cabinets are in good condition and have been painted with white oil-based paints years ago by the previous owner.
One painter suggested oil paints over water based paints.

If I go with oilbased paints, is Zinsser BIN the primer to use after cleaning w/ TSP & sanding?

Also, I'm leaning towards a white or cream color, but I'm worried about yellowing/ambering. What do you think? I would really appreciate any recommendations on soft white (no stark white) colors for cabinets in a small kitchen with lots of natural light.

I've been reading many posts and it seems that F&B or EcoFPE are the most recommended. But based on the website F&B only have waterbased paints. So do you think I should go with FPE?

Eeks!!! I'm trying to do all this research and read all your great posts soo late into the night...I just want to make a decision soon because I'd like to paint the cabinets a few weeks before I move my children into the home (minimize VOC exposure).

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what primer/paint for cabinets? Need to decide soon

I've sampled the FPE-ECO, and I just LOVE the appearance!

SUCH a nice/clean white.
Flowed on beautifully too!
ECO is a "hybrid", meaning it's water-thinnable, Urethane-fortified Alkyd paint. To ME, it didn't have much odor, and is a Low-VOC paint.

You can't go wrong with paint this good. It's literally that simple!

If ya haven't, check the link below for FPE-ECO info...

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: Eco link....

o
RE: what primer/paint for cabinets? Need to decide soon

Thanks Faron! Anythoughts on the ambering effect? I read that natural light will help slow down that process.

Also, should I sand after the primer and between the two coats if the cabinets have been previously painted by the previous home owner?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here