Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theclarkman

Shutter/door color for red brick house

theclarkman
12 years ago

I need help! I bought my first house about a year ago, and now I'm starting to make improvements. Next on my list is repainting the shutters/front door and installing a storm door. So I'm looking for any and all suggestions for the colors of the shutter and door and storm door. I was thinking black storm door (full glass) with black front door with some glass inlays. Eventually i'd like to side the house with a dark gray color. But maybe a white screen door with some neutral color for the shutters and door? I really have no idea. Thank you. I have pictures of my house, but I don't see where/how i can post them. Thank you in advance...

Comments (5)

• devorah
    12 years ago

I would use black on all of the above. I always like it when I see the brick and black combination.

I only recently realized that having my storm door black while my door sidelights were white was breaking up the space. Now it is all white and I get compliments on the change. Stately is the word most often used.

I painted my house a dark charcoal, but why would you cover up brick?

• RRM1
    12 years ago

Another option is something contrasting. Opposite red on the color wheel would be green, but it would need to have the same color quality as brick red; maybe a dark green that gives a similar quality to black.

• old_house_j_i_m
    12 years ago

neighbors recently painted their red brick house trim a deep olive green and it looks like a million bucks. the front door and all window sashes are bronze green (all SW paint) and its really hot.

whatever color you choose (yes, even black and white) make sure it works with the shade of brick you have. brick is NEVER red. get a paint sample book and match the brick to a paint color, that way youll find it easier to make choices. And finally, look at every option outside in full sun - its amazing how much the sun bleaches out color. you may need to go darker for outdoor paint.

• wolfgang80
    12 years ago

Some of the 1920s brick houses in my neighborhood have used a light grey-pea green to great effect. Black is safe but can be very nice. Every now and then I see someone with an old house, brick or stucco, that has just nailed the right periwinkle for their shutters and door. It's managed to be charming and not Punky Brewster.

• wkate640
    12 years ago

My previous house was a Federal-style all brick colonial. The exterior of the windows was white, the trim around the front door was white (no storm door), the shutters (wood) were BM Essex Green (a dark green that's almost black), and the door was just the right red, but I forget the name. It was classic, and fabulous.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax