Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prime Rough Cedar Trim?

Posted by clg7067 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 1, 10 at 15:54

I'm having a carpenter repairing rotten and warped trim on my house today. I'm going to hire a painter very soon. Does rough sawn cedar need to be primed before painted with exterior paint?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prime Rough Cedar Trim?

If using actual PAINT...YES...Definitely.
Maybe even 2 coats of primer...IF it's very thirsty, and a cheaper primer is used.

IF using solid STAIN...No...priming is totally optional.

Faron

o

I think Faron missed that this is rough sewn cedar, so skipping primer is really not going to work because of the tannin bleed. If I were doing the repairs, I would cut all the cedar, then prime all sides, especially the end cuts and then install it. I know this isn't always feasible, but IMO it's a pretty silly idea to install raw cedar anywhere outside if you have the option of priming it before installation. Backpriming helps to block out moisture on all sides which will give the wood a longer life. You also need to use an oil based primer, preferably a slow drying one. The fast drying oil based primers are okay, but you get a better bond with a slow drying process. Latex primers will not work because there are stains in the cedar like tannin that will bleed right through them.

o

PG....yeah, I knew it was rough-stuff. That's why I stated the possibility of even TWO coats of primer, if using Paint.

Priming under Stain...well...if a "Fairly Rustic" look is desired, stain away!
BUT...AS PG SAYS...PRIME ALL THE WAY AROUND if you have a choice, for exactly the reasons he says.

It's just stupid NOT to!!

Faron

o

I had two painters come out and they said it was painted before, so it must be painted again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here