Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fell in love with the following door......

Posted by krissie (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 15:39

I fell in love with Number 7 door at the following site:

http://www.mariakillam.com/2012/04/ten-best-front-door-colours-for-your-house.html

The door is a beautiful shade of red and has highlights to it that may be due to the light, however I want to paint my front door that exact color and it not be a flat look. My door is in the shade.

Is there something that can be added to paint to help it have that highlight look?

Is there any hope of getting a front door to look like that?

This particular paint is made by Home Hardware in Canada and they do not ship to the USA. They were kind enough to send a paint sample but it does not look like the picture on the internet. Yes, I know different monitors will show pictures differently. I am in love with the door on my monitor!!

Any suggestions how to achieve my heart's desire?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fell in love with the following door......

I am in love with the door on my monitor!!

True, monitors show color different from in real life. But there are ways ;) to work it.

The color you want is an old exterior color from Sherwin Williams. #2912 Chanticleer. Get it mixed in high-gloss and I'd hire a pro to paint the door. High gloss, lipstick red like this one can end up being a hot mess in DIY hands.

The deck this color comes from is old. SW used to have "Interior Color Answers" and "Exterior Color Answers" color decks.

Without question that exterior color collection had/has THE BEST reds for front doors. That matters because the % of reds in typical color collections that can 'go outside' and work exterior is small. Exterior Color Answers was just choc-full of 'em.

Only challenge is several of those reds started with a red base and/or were factory mixed colors. Red base and factory mixed exterior colors don't exist any more - or, rarely exists I should say.

Go to the SW store with the color name and number and let them work it out for you. I'd get a quart to sample first.

o
Virtual Samples

Here are a few virtual samples.

o

There is something odd about that photo - the door doesn't look real, it looks like it has been photoshopped.

Fine Paints of Europe has a high gloss door paint called Hollandlac Brilliant. You can have it mailed to you. And they can color match.

Here is a link that might be useful: FPE

o

Thanks funcolors!

I will take a look at those colors.

Also thanks to graywings!

o

Definitely look into FPE. (swoon)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here